What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harness Fastenings - Cam Lock vs. Latch

David Paule

Well Known Member
What are the pros and cons of each?

The main con for the latch type, as far as I know, is that it might snag on something and open inadvertently. The main con for the cam lock type, as far as I know, is that I'd need to relearn some muscle memory.

Anything else?

What did you go with and why?

Need some education here....

Thanks!
Dave

I have an airline latch type belt (similar to what Vans sells) in my C-150 and found I had to be very careful latching it (hear and feel the snap) to make sure it was really latched. Also had a couple of military surplus aircraft type 4 point hook/latch belts in sports cars. I chose the Hooker Harness cam type 5 point belts for my RV-9A because I didn't like either of the latches described above. Also wanted the 5th strap to prevent submarining in case of a crash and to hold the lap belt down in case of turbulence. Not flying yet, but cockpit practice confirms this was a good choice.

I have Crow Camlock harnesses in my -4 and I love i them. I debated it and I'm really glad I went with the cam locks. The only regret is I didn't change to them earlier. I think it is worth the extra money.

I fly acro on most flights and I find the mechanism comfortable and intuitive to use. If anything, it is easier to release.

I've used latch link style, airline style, and the dual belt Hookers in acro airplanes and this one is one of the most comfortable to me.

Last edited:
I also added the Crow camlock 5 point harness and am really happy. I wish I would have done it from the start. You can connect the individual belts to the camlock individually which is much easier when buckling up. Before I had the crotch strap, in turbulence, I would tighten my shoulder straps and it would pull up the lapbelt. That was not safe and put more pressure on my shoulders than was really required.
Keith

I find the hooker type latches to be awkward to buckle up, enough so that I went for some pricey Schroth belts in my -6 which as far as I could find were the only one of that type 20 years ago. Glad I have them but if I were doing it now it would be something like the Crow Kam Locks which are much more reasonably priced.

Definitely get the 5th point to prevent submarining.

I’ve always liked the rotary buckles, and have them on all our planes (except the -6, and that’s Louise’s to configure). I find them easier to buckle than the ones where you have to hold All the pieces together until the last motion - and very quick to unlatch.

Just my personal preference.

Paul

Back