What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirl Wind

N546RV

Well Known Member
Given some of the things I've read about Whirl Wind on here, and the expectations I developed as a result of them, I want to be sure to share my experience here.

I've read more than a few stories here about WW taking a significant amount of time to ship out props, often well in excess of the leas time quoted when the original order was placed. I've also seen some folks say they had a fine experience, but given the less-pleasant stories, I elected to get way ahead of ordering my prop.

When I first contacted WW last year, inquiring about a 74HRT prop, I was given an 8-10 week lead time. Since then, I decided to go with the 300-72 prop instead, and I decided last week was the time to get that order going. Nichole estimated a 4-6 week lead time - way sooner than I would need a prop, but again, given the stories, I went ahead with the order...just in case.

I officially placed the order and paid my deposit last Friday, October 2. Today I got an email from Nichole that my prop would be ready to ship next Tuesday - October 13th. Incredibly fast. So fast, in fact, that I don't have the headroom on my credit card to pay it off, since I paid for my finish kit yesterday! Got to make a payment on the card tomorrow so I can settle up with WW...

Bottom line, my experience has been the exact opposite of the long-wait horror stories. Nichole has been responsive and helpful throughout. Now I just have to find a corner of the hangar to put this thing in until next spring...

My 74HRT took just over 3 weeks from order, until shipping. Instal should be done soon. I can’t wait to try the new prop out!

WW props pirep

Good friend has a SuperCub clone with O-320/150hp. He just removed his metal Sensinich (33 lbs) and installed a new WW ground adjustable (18 lbs). About 2 week delivery after order and he says plane is 8-9 mph faster and is very pleased with the improved takeoff performance. This setup appears to be a great choice for a FP RV.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I'll chime in as well. I sent my prop to whirlwind for an upgrade/service earlier this year. As has been my experience in the past, they were helpful, pleasant and professional. My prop was done a week sooner that promised. I've had nothing but a good experience with them.

Sometimes, with some card companies, you can call them and ask them to temporarily raise the limit. I've never been turned down.

Dave

WW props! Customer service PIREP

Hello RV pilot friends, I have a 200RV on my -6 and it has been absolutely perfect for over 300hrs. Great performance light weight and cost lower than brand X! I also have a WW RV10 prop on my -10. It has almost 500hrs of perfect operation with 0 mechanical issues issues! The questions that you need to ask yourself when purchasing any product for you airplane.
1. Will it save weight?
2. Will it increase the performance of the airplane?
3. Will the product add cost to the airplane project?
4. Will safety be effected by adding this product?
There are lots of propeller options these day for RV products. The WW line has a very good track record with performance and safety. I would buy another WW prop for future RV projects.

74 HRT installed

Instal is finished. These props sure are pretty! I can’t wait to see the differences while doing aerobatics.

AF3C8BD2-8BC1-4166-87E0-24AB9A2A75C7.jpeg

91C01143-2F69-45CF-A09F-312A17C2A7F1.jpeg

AEDCD2DF-5100-423C-B0F0-D23145579530.jpeg

I see that the hub diameter is slightly smaller than my 200RV prop. interface to the spinner is cleaner with that prop over the 200RV. it makes the 200RV prop look like a brute.

Back