What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Foam Sets

Lizard Lips

Any recommendations for a source of Seat Foam Sets for the RV-14? Van's, for some reason, has elected not to sell sets for the 14. :mad: Classic Aero Designs is 20 weeks minimum delivery for EVERYTHING! Seats, carpet, stick boots ? whatever which is totally unacceptable for me.

What have some of you guys been doing? I have a local aircraft upholsterer who does a beautiful job of covering with leather, cloth or whatever but does not have the seat foam.

Any recommendations?

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A Fuselage 80% complete. Expecting engine delivery next week
Wings 80% complete.

Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly

Dues paid for 2019

Just make your own and have a local guy cover them.

http://bit.ly/2FEArA4

I bought foam from these folks:

https://www.seatfoam.com/index.html

I used blue, pink, and yellow foam.

Bond with 3M contact adhesive:
https://amzn.to/2NlONvI

Seat heaters here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253250702661

When you get close to the final shape, throw the foam in the freezer. Use an electric knife to do final cuts. When frozen the corners can be sanded easily with 40 grit.

They are very, vary comfortable. I've spent some time in agony in RV's due to **** seats and I don't mind trading weight for comfort.

With your wings and fuselage at 80% and the engine still on order or recently arrived, Classic Aero's 20 week schedule might be within your schedule.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to apologize to Joe and other customers for the long lead time. I know it has been an inconvenience to some of you. The reason for the backlog is the new RV-14 side panels. We hope to be back to a more normal lead time once we work through the first wave of those.

I agree that the current lead time is too long. Unfortunately, we have limited options in the short term. The skills required for what we do are very specialized, and tough to scale up quickly. I think things will be back to normal before that could happen anyway.

We operate on a first come first served basis, but if there are special circumstances, we do our best to work with customers to find a solution. Just let us know what your situation is.

Best regards,

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to apologize to Joe and other customers for the long lead time. I know it has been an inconvenience to some of you. The reason for the backlog is the new RV-14 side panels. We hope to be back to a more normal lead time once we work through the first wave of those.

I agree that the current lead time is too long. Unfortunately, we have limited options in the short term. The skills required for what we do are very specialized, and tough to scale up quickly. I think things will be back to normal before that could happen anyway.

We operate on a first come first served basis, but if there are special circumstances, we do our best to work with customers to find a solution. Just let us know what your situation is.

Best regards,

I first thought the long delivery was for the side panels only, which I was willing to wait on, but your Jeremiah Webster confirmed that everything from soup to nuts was backed up to about 20 weeks. I plan to have my Airworthy Certificate approved by mid October and I'll at least need seats for that. Otherwise, I think you have an exceptional product and I really wanted to install all in my new RV-14A.

My thanks to everyone else for the info and opinions. It all helps.

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A Fuse and Wings about 80% complete

Both suggestions above are good ones. I went the Oregon Aero route and love'em. The seat comfort outlasts both my personal endurance and my fuel supply.

But if you're a "roll your own" kinda guy, dealing with seatfoam.com folks is a real pleasure as well. Great materials and wonderful folks. I've personally known Jim and Jan for over 20 years; really good folks to deal with.

If the Oregon Aero price makes too big a dent in the budget, you can always do only one seat. That's what I did; made the LH seat (my seat) top notch and let the co-pilot have a perfectly good cushion with less expense. No ones complained yet. Besides it only get used less than half the time.

Bottom line, don't skimp on your seat cushion in the comfort department. You'll appreciate it more than you think.

George

Back