What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oh What A Difference...

622BH

Well Known Member
Just changed out the stock tires for Desser Monsters 5.00-5 and Michelin Air Stop Tubes. Balanced at 40 PSI.
Much better taxi and Take-off / Landing roll than before.

Stock tires limited me to 35 PSI or shimmy ensued. Now at 40 PSI and no hint of shimmy, the airplane will actually taxi at 900 RPM. That's significantly better than the 1200 RPM required previously.

From now on, its Desser & Air Stop for "My Beebe."

Same here

No more landing shimmy for me, either, after the change. I also run mine at 40 PSI.

Just changed out the stock tires for Desser Monsters 5.00-5 and Michelin Air Stop Tubes. Balanced at 40 PSI.
Much better taxi and Take-off / Landing roll than before.

Stock tires limited me to 35 PSI or shimmy ensued. Now at 40 PSI and no hint of shimmy, the airplane will actually taxi at 900 RPM. That's significantly better than the 1200 RPM required previously.

From now on, its Desser & Air Stop for "My Beebe."

Continental here but the same tread pattern and air stop tubes. I developed some shimmy on the stock tires after 200 hrs and they became cupped on the edges. I added wooden leg dampers and switched to the continental tire. no shimmy after that. 45 psi on the mains and let it sink back to 40 psi. air them about each 6 months or longer. 50 psi on the nose. it will allow you to roll a long way and makes you glad you have brakes. for a normal landing I can roll 3000 ft. I try to keep my brakes in good shape.

a thing I have found to minimize brake usage.... if the taxi way is crowned, like ours at HAO, then taxi slightly off center on the downwind side and it will minimize usage of the brakes. the wind on the vertical stab and the crown are opposing forces. if you are with a CFI then taxi on the centerline. :)

Last edited:
Nice Suggestion Steve

Are you airing the Lamb tire to 50 PSI?

The taxi tip is a nice trick if there’s a cross wind. My airport has a predominant head/tail-wind right down the taxiway. So the crown and brakes get used a bit more than preferred.

Haven't even flown my 7A yet but am thinking I should do this (have Berringer nose wheel).

Where did you get them? Spruce? Anyone comment on Mich vs. Dresser tires?

Are you airing the Lamb tire to 50 PSI?

The taxi tip is a nice trick if there’s a cross wind. My airport has a predominant head/tail-wind right down the taxiway. So the crown and brakes get used a bit more than preferred.

nose wheel stock Lamb to 50 psi and then let is sink back over time. so far that has been fine for me.

Haven't even flown my 7A yet but am thinking I should do this (have Berringer nose wheel).

Where did you get them? Spruce? Anyone comment on Mich vs. Dresser tires?

recommend to use the stock tire because they are good enough to get you going and they will give you a data point. don't spend the money until you want to upgrade.

Thanks! Worth upgrading the tubes initially at least? Out of paint and reassembling now so not a horrible time for me to do it before wings are back on, pants etc. So many horror stories about stock tubes.

80-rrvreallysmall_79df38a2d3b8b407f655dedd680d42f187008bf8.jpg

Thanks! Worth upgrading the tubes initially at least? Out of paint and reassembling now so not a horrible time for me to do it before wings are back on, pants etc. So many horror stories about stock tubes.

80-rrvreallysmall_79df38a2d3b8b407f655dedd680d42f187008bf8.jpg

perhaps the tubes, then you will not have to air so often. dream machine. it's a bullet!

Kind of like the primer wars

Stock tires and tubes

Tire: AirHawk 5.00-5 6ply
Tube: Aero Classic Leakguard
Nose Tire: Chang Shin 11x4.00x5 8 ply
Tube: Whatever Vans sends “U-Lamb Tube”

Mains= 45psi Nose= 35psi
Acft hrs 1350

Last edited:
Reviews here & FBO

After reading the reviews here and chatting with the local FBO, I decided to "pull the trigger" and purchased the Desser Monsters and the Michelin Air Stop Tubes (tubes from ACS). Other than stock, I've not tried anything else in the 300+ hours on "My Beebe"
The nose wheel remains the stock set-up tube/tire. I don't know what size Michelin tube would work in the Lamb tire. Anyone know?
If Michelin does fit the Lamb, I would jump over to that in a heartbeat.

Steve, I'll give that 50 PSI in the nose a trial and see how it goes. Thanks.

Bobby

Didn't mean to incite a "primer war." Just wanted to post my experience with the new tire/tube set-up.

I fully understand and agree with the view that whatever you prefer, go with it and ignore the naysayers. Because you'll never please everyone all the time - not even yourself.

I installed Desser 500-5 6 PLY AWBS RETREAD ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE (ELITE) on my RV-12. The advantage of retreading a tire is that a harder compound can be used for the tread when it is over-molded onto the softer rubber carcass.
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.26.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.26.15 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.32.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.32.59 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 92
Back