What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Servo / Actuator use

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I was pondering playing around with small electric servos/actuators to control things like cabin heat, carb heat, and oil cooling doors. I am curious if anyone has any experience with this and if there are any 12V servos out there that people know of or recommend?

Thank you!

Charles

Ray Allen & Firgelli

You can use the Ray Allen Servos, which are used for trim, but can do other things as well: http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/servos.html

Another option is to use Firgelli Automations linear actuators: https://www.firgelliauto.com/

I have used both for similar applications. The Firgelli actuators are nice because some of them can be disassembled and have the limit switches moved to limit travel without any other feedback. That is a nice feature if you want to simply flip a switch one way or the other to open or close something.

acuators

I have used the linear actuators from Actuonix.com (firgelli). They are awesome.

Do yourself a favor and get the LAC control board when you order MUCH cheaper.

The LAC board is awesome, I used it with potentiometers to control the 12v actuators...and some of the actuators have built in position sensing...I used one of the for my rudder trim.

When I was flying a lot of RC airplanes, I shop for servos from https://www.servocity.com/servos/

They have a huge range of servos, actuators, controllers, and mounting options. Most of the economical servos are in the 6V range so you may have to have a voltage down converter to use these servos. 12V servos are more expensive but you probably don't need that kind of torque

servos

One issue you will have if you choose to use RC servos, is that, well, they are RC servos...

Typically 6V so you will need a regulator, and an RC PWM controller.

In contrast, the linear actuators can be ordered for 12V, switch operated, limit switches, computer controlled or potentiometer controlled. The LAC board from actuonix will allow these functions easily...and yes, the actuators can be had in a 6V RC version, too.

I used futaba RC servos for heat control and airflow. They work v ry nicely with bowden cables and are light. Panel mounted controlers with knobd are available for $50.

Hello all,

I was pondering playing around with small electric servos/actuators to control things like.....
I don't have links but have seen a ton of builder site's, manufactures of actuators and web store site's that sell to kit plane builders have tons of actuators and applications to do everything you mention. You are limiting yourself. There are linear actuators, RC model servos, and many other electrically controlled actuators...

My opinion (worth every penny you are paying for it) is KISS.... Keep It Simple and follow the plans. Push-Pull teleflex cables (mechanical) work well, simple, cheap and super reliable. You'll expend a lot of time researching, buying, designing, fabricating, re-designing, re-fabricating your electrical actuation when a teleflex cable would have been done. tried and true. I enjoy and encourage learning and experimentation however. If you want to learn about actuators look into robotics or RC modeling. You can do amazing things with actuators and micro controllers, learn a lot. However to open or close your cabin or carb heat I recommend a mechanical cable.

Last edited:
oops

I am guessing that in the world of experimental aviation, a true stock, follow the plans to the letter aircraft is a rare bird...

+1 Actuonix for oil cooler door

I have used the linear actuators from Actuonix.com (firgelli). They are awesome.

Do yourself a favor and get the LAC control board when you order MUCH cheaper.

The LAC board is awesome, I used it with potentiometers to control the 12v actuators...and some of the actuators have built in position sensing...I used one of the for my rudder trim.

With the LAC and position output indicator I can control OT to 180F any OAT +30C to -40C when used on the antisplat shutter. Pretty much know which LED on the indicator goes with OAT and phase of flight after 2ys experience with it.

As part of my side business, I sell the actuonix linear servos and other servos you see in these. Nice little projects you just need to get the proper gearing, I tend to skip the speed specs and go with the highest torque. You can get some insane torque on them. That being said I would only use them for things like louver doors, heat/air vents due to the material and design.

I wouldnt have used it for a rudder trim but if you're having success then I may rethink that. since they only cost about 70-80 dollars

Clarify

My rudder trim is not a direct tab, though I think the PQ actuator would be absolutely fine to use that way.

Instead, I am using the aerosport rudder bias system, and replaced the manual control with a PQ actuator driving a bellcrank.

Thanks for the input. I am traditionally a fan of the KISS principal as well, however I also really enjoy the innovation aspect that the experimental world permits. Not to mention the learning that taking on such projects accompanies. The genesis for this thread is actually because both my heater and my carb heat flex cables have jammed, and the carb heat on my GF's 6 has jammed as well. I know this is a simple fix and mechanical cables are simple, tried and true, but the creative side in me wants to explore a bit (at east on the heater controls).

I don't have links but have seen a ton of builder site's, manufactures of actuators and web store site's that sell to kit plane builders have tons of actuators and applications to do everything you mention. You are limiting yourself. There are linear actuators, RC model servos, and many other electrically controlled actuators...

My opinion (worth every penny you are paying for it) is KISS.... Keep It Simple and follow the plans. Push-Pull teleflex cables (mechanical) work well, simple, cheap and super reliable. You'll expend a lot of time researching, buying, designing, fabricating, re-designing, re-fabricating your electrical actuation when a teleflex cable would have been done. tried and true. I enjoy and encourage learning and experimentation however. If you want to learn about actuators look into robotics or RC modeling. You can do amazing things with actuators and micro controllers, learn a lot. However to open or close your cabin or carb heat I recommend a mechanical cable.

Thanks for the input. I am traditionally a fan of the KISS principal as well, however I also really enjoy the innovation aspect that the experimental world permits. Not to mention the learning that taking on such projects accompanies. The genesis for this thread is actually because both my heater and my carb heat flex cables have jammed, and the carb heat on my GF's 6 has jammed as well. I know this is a simple fix and mechanical cables are simple, tried and true, but the creative side in me wants to explore a bit (at east on the heater controls).

No real downside to experimentation on the heater and oil circuits, but I would NOT consider this for the carb heat. IMO, critical systems should have parts with known reliability. I have had several issues with my servo set up that had to be worked out. Not a big deal if the heat won't work on one flight, but a very different story for carb heat.

Good luck,

Larry

Back