What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Photo port in window

msmst25

Well Known Member
Has anybody tried installing something like this in an RV-10?
https://www.glapinc.com/Cessna/details/1220.html
I'd love to be able to do aerial photography and I've never had much success through the plexiglass (with or without a lens hood to cut out reflections).
I've flown a Warrior II with this type of vent
https://store.ceebaileys.com/Vent-Window-For-Pilot-Window-Piper-PA-28-p/cba-pa28-9.htm
That worked great for aerial photography, but obviously I'm going a heck of a lot slower in a Warrior.

I saw one on an rv10 at Oshkosh a few years back on pilot side, not sure how they cut it in.

To cut it in, you'd need 2 windows. One in the plane to cut the hole in, then a donor to cut up to use for the window pane.

Might be really hard to retrofit as it would be really hard to match up the curves of the windows exactly. Might be possible to heat / massage the part into fitting, but I'd be concerned about a good seal.

this is something I'd really like to do. Air-to-air photography is something I've been wanting to start doing.

Hi guys,

As a professional A2A photographer, I see what you’re trying to do here. But this is a terribly limiting way to gain that ability. It’s a lot of work, too. You will only be able to shoot two, maybe three views, and the end of the lens will be very close to the plexi. You will scratch the plexi up.

Michael O’Leary did this to a Mustang canopy once. After using it, the work and limits made it a one-time deal.

One last thing to consider; if you do cut it, cut it in a place that is usable. It should be behind you affording you a view through the camera looking back at a 45 degree bearing. Can’t turn around or position yourself to use it? These are things to think about first.

Aircraft with canopies that open are rather easy to find. This, by far, is the easiest way to go. Coupled with a class like the one I teach, you’d have the training and basic skills to produce some great photos.

One-on-One/Air-to-Air on Facebook.

Hope this helps.

External camera

I've been considering an externally mounted camera with remote control, e.g. Garmin Virb, for aerial photography of land features. The remote control is via an app that enables you to compose and take the picture.

that must have been me

I saw one on an rv10 at Oshkosh a few years back on pilot side, not sure how they cut it in.

I had vent windows cut into my windows when I built the plane. Not worth the squeeze at $500 per window (13 yrs ago). I get some use out of them but wouldn't do it again. If you have a specific reason like aerial photography you may see the value.

Don Orrick
N410JA

To cut it in, you'd need 2 windows. One in the plane to cut the hole in, then a donor to cut up to use for the window pane.

Might be really hard to retrofit as it would be really hard to match up the curves of the windows exactly. Might be possible to heat / massage the part into fitting, but I'd be concerned about a good seal.

this is something I'd really like to do. Air-to-air photography is something I've been wanting to start doing.

My Cherokee 180 had the pilot side vent window. Sealing was not an issue as in flight the low pressure on the exterior sucked it tight against the gasket. I was thinking this might be a way to get a bit of ventilation while on the ground vs. Taxiing with the door open and stressing the doors in the propblast.

Aerial photography

I’ve been using GoPro’s with nflightcam strut mounts, but the image quality isn’t great compared to a dslr or mirrorless camera. It also limits the ability to significantly change the field of view. And night photography is out of the question.

Back