What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Tube Bracket Woopsie

hillc95

Page 14-3, I set the 2 rivets closest to the flanges on the W-1029C bracket crooked and ended up buggering up the holes while drilling them out. At this point I figure I have 3 options:

1. Upsize and rivet with 5-5 rivets
2. Upsize and install 3A bolts
3. Replace everything and try again

The bracket assembly itself is good it's the rib that's not.

Thoughts?
IMG_20201116_145033.jpg

Yup. Re-order and try again.

Little things like the 17th rivet in a line of 35 rivets maybe can be upsized from 3 to 4 if you overdimple or drill out a bad rivet imperfectly. But something like that, which holds a critical piece, really should be done right.

I agree......I already had the order screen up when I asked and my usual response is to just reorder the parts.....figured i'd get another opinion to verify it wasn't feasible to try and repair. Thanks guys!

Yup. Re-order and try again.

Little things like the 17th rivet in a line of 35 rivets maybe can be upsized from 3 to 4 if you overdimple or drill out a bad rivet imperfectly. But something like that, which holds a critical piece, really should be done right.

Curious, Why is increasing the rivet size, assuming that edge distance is met, considered not being done right?

Curious, Why is increasing the rivet size, assuming that edge distance is met, considered not being done right?

I wondered the same thing. Or also, why not another option of drilling new holes for the damaged rivets? Seems a lot of parts to trash for 2 bad rivets, but the decision was already made to order new parts. The current kits seem to have a different builder mindset versus an older kit that requires all holes to be drilled and many parts to be fabricated. :confused:

Back