What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

almost a 14 mod during construction or after?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Based on the feedback here plus finally getting to sit in one, I decided that I wanted the Almost a 14 mod. This was after I'd been just chugging along following the instructions and had already riveted the F-705 seat backbrace into the assembly.

The kit showed up in the mail today, and got me thinking about this; Is there any problem with drilling out those rivets and just attaching the crossbar to the uprights with clecoes so that it keeps everything more or less rigid for now?

Seems like it would be a lot easier to do that than drill out all those rivets and cut the crossbar in half to get it out later as shown in the antisplat video. But, I don't know if that would induce unwanted flexibility in the assembly while mating it to the tailcone, drilling longerons, or something else I haven't thought of yet

Anybody see a problem with this?

You can install it during construction, along with the super track mod, if you have a slider.

I have both...SuperTrack and AA14. Both are great, but I find the canopy mod to be extraordinarily useful.

So did you guys just cleco in the Vans F-705 seatback crossbar and then toss it after you finished riveting the longerons or what?

Seems like it's the only thing that sets the cabin width in that area, but I'm not 100% on that.

Howdy Everyone. Below is a link to my channel covering how I installed the Anti Splat seat mod. There are multiple videos in this series. I installed the mod during construction on my -7; I realize you are building a slider. Still, the videos may share some insight on how to solve some issues.

I held everything together with clekos, no worries. Although the mod is now complete, to this day I still do not have the cross bar installed; it is in the way of doing other work in the fuselage. When ready, I will just bolt it in place...no rivets so it can always be removed if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQF1viHxqc&list=PLRJi6Zhisj8UUfyKmBM6VSf-dL3aQUSTl&index=98

Back