What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 10 - where can it be?

wcalvert

Well Known Member
Anyone know where " SECTION 10 LANDING GEAR " as listed in the instruction table of contents resides?

Fitting the gear legs on my -7 and the holes don't line up perfectly, wanting to research the issue before moving forward with reaming etc.

Anyone know the answer to either question?

Cheers

If you have the electronic plans, its in the construction drawings under "RV-7 - Main". There's not much there though, for this step it says "Installing the gear can't be easier. Rod in hole and a single bolt". You might want to call them if things don't line up.

Thanks... did read that. Seemed simple enough.

Wondering about Section 10 but that may be a -6 or even -14 throw back.

Building on

Pulled the legs out of the mounts to do some more investigating.

I found the holes on the forward side of the mount, both sides, to be .314" (for an AN-5 bolt, 5/16" or .312 as called out in drawing 46).

But the aft holes in the mount measure .283"... ?

So now that has me doubting either the callout, for a standard AN-5 bolt, as it appears that the holes are drilled for some sort of shoulder bolt... (I do not believe that),

Or to confirm the bolt callout is correct and that the mount was improperly drilled during manufacture.

Vans tech help next.

More to come in this intriguing saga...

Pulled the legs out of the mounts to do some more investigating.

I found the holes on the forward side of the mount, both sides, to be .314" (for an AN-5 bolt, 5/16" or .312 as called out in drawing 46).

But the aft holes in the mount measure .283"... ?

So now that has me doubting either the callout, for a standard AN-5 bolt, as it appears that the holes are drilled for some sort of shoulder bolt... (I do not believe that),

Or to confirm the bolt callout is correct and that the mount was improperly drilled during manufacture.

Vans tech help next.

More to come in this intriguing saga...

A taper bolt is suggested when realigning the legs. Sure sounds like they've been reamed out for that. Are the holes in the legs also tapered?

Finn

Answer here..

Not tapered, just ingeniously designed to produce perfectly drilled/reamed and aligned holes in place (not that there is a note about that tidbit of information anywhere in the manual!)

From Sterling at the Mothership tech office:

"This is by design, our intention that the builder insert the gear leg and align it with the proper size hole. The builder will then ream through using the leg as a guide ensuring perfect alignment of the mount and gear leg bolt holes."

So there ya go, another tip put on to the forum in an attempt to put Sterling out of a job!

Cheers

Missing from manual!

And yet, nowhere in the manual how to align the legs for reaming!

(I happen to have a 2001 RV-7/7A manual)

Finn

Sterling implies that the forward hole is the correct size, and when lined up with the existing hole in the leg, orients the leg properly...

Hanging in free air they are not aligned with each other, except being the same angle to the fuse on left and right, but will surely flex and twist with weight on the airframe. Then hopefully my "front end alignment" will be good to go.

Sometimes we just gotta trust the designers!

Now to deciphering the brake assembly instructions... (manual says Cleveland, I have Matco parts in my kit. Just sayin')

Back