What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Top Cowl Pin

jsenft

Well Known Member
What is the secret to getting the top left cowl pin in? I read other post and I got nothing. This is not a wax issue. This pin will go into the last four slots

Just one option, use a slightly smaller diameter pin and prebend it to match the curve of the cowl. A little wax doesn't hurt.

Hopefully some who have a lot of hours on their hinges and pins can chime in.

Good luck.

Cowl hinge problem

Fortunately mine all worked fine. The lateral ones are bent to the profile and the longitudinal ones are straight. I wax them after every use.

A couple of days ago I put the lower cowling on after my annual inspection and the top two hoops (or whatever is the appropriate word) on the piano hinge fell off. The cowling is still secure, but if I lose any more "bits", I'll have to replace the hinge. I'm not looking forward to drilling out those small solid rivets, or disturbing the paint :-(

Cheers...Keith

My "secrete" is to have 2 people :D . I have not been able to do it by myself and it's so much easier for me to have someone else gently rocking the cowl while I put the pins in. I'm sure it's just my lack of experience but it does make things easier for me.

That's the worst of the pins, for sure! I bent it to shape (a bit more than the shape of the cowl is calling for to help it get the curve. I clean them and apply fresh Boelube every time I reinsert the pins. I have also sanded (SB wheel) the tip of the pin to reduce the pin diameter about half an inch from the tip and I gave it a pointy tip as well. And then I still use a pair of pliers to help wiggling it and pushing it into the last 3 loops.

That's the worst of the pins, for sure! I bent it to shape (a bit more than the shape of the cowl is calling for to help it get the curve. I clean them and apply fresh Boelube every time I reinsert the pins. I have also sanded (SB wheel) the tip of the pin to reduce the pin diameter about half an inch from the tip and I gave it a pointy tip as well. And then I still use a pair of pliers to help wiggling it and pushing it into the last 3 loops.

I second this method, works well for me too. One caution though: when you bend the pin in shape, make sure the end you use to wiggle it in has its bend perpendicular to the plane made by the bent pin. The reason is, if it is in the same plane, the torque you will have to put on it to insert it under the little screwed cover will bend the cover out of shape.

I use a 1/16" weld rod. Make sure the tip is ground at an angle so you can rotate the pin to clear the hinge edges. A thin coat of oil helps too.

I have found that the sequence of pinning the top cowl helps. If I do the top pins first, then do the side pins last, the pins go into the top a lot easier. Also boelube helps too.

I rub the pins with a wide carpenter's pencil lead, which is actually graphite, not lead. It is quick and easy with no mess.
Joe Gores

Be sure to grind and buff a sharp bullet in the cowl pins. Otherwise they will hang up during installation. Also bend them to perfectly match the curve of the hinge on the firewall or cowling.

Back