What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your photo's on final.............

After Leadsville, CO, it is fitting to show this one. What our altitude might be?

Windows%2BMedia%2BPlayer%2B12182014%2B100849%2BAM.jpg

-210' on rollout

Some memories from last year:

Illulisat - 8 mile final to BGJN over the Icefjord
WHfxa4_UR6uLLWITfvC82ERhUk4YjEjl55wIBHZmXZI-uBi7higmHb6cVhxC88xhZPdW0M2IWOwtMcrSHTTOsvb0xzfHMnu0=w1339-h725

Reykjavik BIRK
fd95163fbd3651a7b63113947e12f149_zpsf8df7e43.jpg

Last edited:
I recognize the first photo with the wing & engine in it. Bet that was taken in Pago Pago (pronounced Pongo Pongo), capital of American Samoa. I lived there for 18 months back in 1990-1991. We flew Twin Otters & a King Air all over and in/out of some short strips (Western Samoa, Tonga, Niue, Fiji, Wallace & Fatuna, Funafuti.....). Loads of fun!

Correct.
That job sounds like a blast.

Another European one...

A harder one. Especially as the co-pilot window cleaner seemed to have been on strike.

orq8mw.jpg

Yes, that rock! Via Tangiar, Morocco as you cannot fly from Spain to Gib even though the land just to the right of the runway is Spain!

Where is that Island, and how can I stay there. It looks incredible!

Cedar Key, FL.

Yes, they have several bed and breakfast there. Nice day trip from Atlanta. Call Judy on Unicom 15-20 miles out and she will meet you at the airport. $5 per head into town, each way. Make a good landing, 2200 ft. Starts at water's edge, ends at water's edge.

Pretty place you have there at CZAM Mark. I am mapping my August 2016 Alaska trip it looks like a perfect fuel stop. What interesting you have there at Salmon Arm?

Vlad, we do have some of the lowest price fuel around, although still expensive by US standards. We have some beautiful lakes, great water skiing, good golfing.................this is also fruit country - in early August there are still a few cherries being harvested, and peaches are ready in August.

August 14 - 16 is the annual Roots and Blues festival in Salmon Arm.

If you are thinking of staying overnight the Salmon Arm airport has tiedowns, a $10 Cdn overnight parking fee (almost free in USD!), flying club car for $20/day (you won't need it), and no landing fees of course.

Let me know if you decide to stop here, we can take the boat out (weather permitting), or play some golf. We have extra bedrooms most of the time as well (3rd week in August we are full), you are welcome to occupy one of them. My wife is a good cook too :D!

Caribbean Islands on final

Here's a photo Tuppergal shot on final to Beef Island (British Virgin Islands) with Trellis Bay in the upper right corner:

Beef_Island_on_final.jpg

And another of Canouan Island:

Canouan_Island_on_final.jpg

And with the 'Heavies' waiting on me to land at Ft. Lauderdale:

Ft_Lauderdale_on_final.JPG

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! :D Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Another mountain airport

Not as high as the one Ted posted, just as pretty however.

DSC_0255_med_zpsb0586caf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Merry Christmas all,

Geoff

Very impressive! What kind of wind speed and direction you had there at Kiwi if it's one way in one way out. How long is the strip?

Somewhere in North America where winds are calm, tides low and sand packed...

_DSC6048copy.jpg

indian town airport is our local grass strip. X58. if it looks short from the pic it is not. 6,000' smooth grass, and plenty wide. :)

Tight sequencing...

bird%2Bon%2Bfinal.jpg

(OK - not actually my pic. Someone sent it to me on FB.)

Last edited:
Back