What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

section 40-06 landing light install

tim walter

Well Known Member
I have the wing skin cut out nicely and the landing light ribs installed.

now to attach the light itself you are supposed to position it inbetween the landing light ribs and insert the AN3 bolts by hand.
I am finding it impossible to get those bolts in through the tiny landing light hole.
The plans do say that you could attach the light to the ribs first if your hands are big (I don't have big hands).
But if I do that, then how would I ever get the light back out and in again for replacement?

this seems like a very bad design, am I missing something?

Last edited:
I have overly large arthritic hands and had the same problem. I wound up drilling out the light rib rivets, and then re-rivet it back in as an loosely assembled assembly. Replacement? Hey, this is an LED light!

Hi Tim,

This is what 6 year old Grand children are for, if you have none near by find a local child they will enjoy the opportunity to participate and you will save the cost of having ET make a service call. Take them for a ride when you are done as payment.

Best regards,
Vern

now to attach the light itself you are supposed to position it inbetween the landing light ribs and insert the AN3 bolts by hand.
I am finding it impossible to get those bolts in through the tiny landing light hole.
The plans do say that you could attach the light to the ribs first if your hands are big (I don't have big hands).
But if I do that, then how would I ever get the light back out and in again for replacement?

well it seems like I'm not alone
looks like most people put the light in before wingtips so they had more access.

I can do that too, but I was more concerned with how to make this a serviceable item.

I was thinking, if the slots for the AN3 bolts were open all the way to the front of the LL ribs, then you can just slip the light into the slots and tighten the nuts.

these ribs are obviously not structural, so I don't see why it would matter if they were cut that way.
there would be a possibility of the light sliding forwards maybe? but that seems very unlikely and worst case, it comes loose and points in the wrong direction, not really an emergency !

OFC, for E-LSA we're not allowed to change anything in the plans, but since the lighting kit is an optional extra, does that apply?

either way, I can install per the directions and if the light ever needs service/replacement I can cut the ribs at that time.

I wonder how many people have done the lighting kit? none of the RV-12s at my field have them (they were early kits before it was available).

Landing light bolts...

Please try again to start the bolts without cutting anything. I have fairly big hands and was able to stick the bolt to my fingers with some tape wrapped around the fingers and get it into the threaded hole. Then was able to get it started. I dropped the bolt several times trying, but it can be done.
Once started use a box end ratchet wrench to secure it.
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12Project/Light-Kit-Option/10947227_nfd6qC#773565788_WAfqM-A-LB][/URL]

Tony

It is too late for this advice for you, but for others - install the light BEFORE you top-skin that outboard section of the wing! Lots of access from behind it. You can put on the bottom skin, the leading edge, and hold off there. Build the other wing first and you'll realize what you have to do. Note that lots of folks have put the light one bay off! I almost did - double check before you start cutting!

Hi Guys
Pegasus here... What I did was to put an access panel behind the light. Like the ones in the belly.
It helps for the install and to adjust light after the lens is in place.

Now THAT seems like a first class idea.
Hi Guys
Pegasus here... What I did was to put an access panel behind the light. Like the ones in the belly.
It helps for the install and to adjust light after the lens is in place.

do you have photos?

Tim: I just copyed the belly inspection plate and used the same material
as the wing. Cut the part for the nutplates larger than the inspection cover
drill and dimple wing and nutplate part, squeeze rivet in place. The cover
plate would already have the screw holes been driled and dimpled.

1. Copy the cover plate from a belly cover plate.
2.Use that cover plate to draw your hole on the wing skin.
3.Make the nutplate part just large enough to fit through your hole
with a border for rivets 43-13 will show you the number and pattern.
4. Before installing match drill the cover plate and the nutplate part
for the screws,

Hope this helps
Pegasus

I struggled with those bolts/washers for half an hour before giving up and handing the job off to my 9 y.o. It took her two minutes!

Can be done...

I have medium size hands, and small brain ;-) completely deficient of engineering, metalworking knowledge/skills. However, I had blind faith in Van's ability to design something I could build, and to adequately describe how to do it. Given my lack of relevant experience this was a bit of a gamble but, for me, it turned out to be justified. I just followed the plans.

Some things took a rather long time...this included fitting the landing light (twice, as my painter sprayed the unit black - described elsewhere).

Cheers...Keith

Back