What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent high EGT warning

gblwy

Well Known Member
Hi,

This week both EGT displays on the Dynon (D180) were normal in the air (2 x 2-hour flights) but on the ground while stationery and taxiing EGT2 fluctuated between what I believe to be the real temperature and some very high value. I'll check the spade connectors tomorrow, but if this proves OK, does this suggest that the sensor has gone U/S?

Cheers...Keith

During my early SkyView systems testing, I saw erratic EGT readings when I transmitted - a Dynon factory fix of the EMS box took care of that. I also had intermittent EGT readings which were fixed by "wiggling" the spade connectors. All indications seem normal now. :)

There is no EGT limit, however if you had spiking of EGT on the ground that was 1100 then instantly 1600 or some rapid change, that will be a probe connector.

If the excursions were over a few seconds and progressively bouncing around then plug fouling is likely.

Keith, I had the same issue several years ago and a new probe solved the problem. If you choose you could switch the connectors under the cowling and see if the problem changes to the other side. I did have oil temps and cht's doing the same thing very early on and it was the D180. Cheers to you!;)

Last edited:
EGT fixed?

Update: I replaced the "defective" right side EGT sensor. To facilitate feeding the new sensor up the back of the engine I chopped the bottom off the old one, joined old and new units with a tie-wrap and pulled the new one up into position.

Problem fixed - well no.

Subsequent diagnosis indicated the problem was with the left side EGT, so I purchased a second unit and fitted that. I guessed the left and right units had been plugged into the wrong pins at the back of the Dynon.

Tonight I found a thread that dates back to 2010 citing several similar incidents. Should have looked here first, methinks.

Anyway, after buying two replacement units and some rewiring, I "may" have fixed this intermittent problem. Thanks to previous posters!

Cheers...Keith

Let's see how long the new ones last. My left EGT sensor started failing (bouncy indications and sometimes getting crossed out on the Dynon display) at around 15 hours. The right one now started to give bouncy indications sometimes too. Luckily the EGT is not that important for us with the lack of direct mixture control on the Rotax.

I can cope with bouncy indications. I cannot cope with the audio warning blaring every couple of minutes ;-)

LOL! Yeah, I can see how that could get quite distracting. Fortunately, my sensors only bounce downwards, and there is no EGT too low warning or I must have disabled it :-D

Last edited:
Back