What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersunk the wrong part, now what? F1039D

RVFan671

Well Known Member
Sent off the same question to Van's but figured I'd also solicit opinions here.

While working on my RV10 section 27-4 step 3 I incorrectly thought the f1039D lays against the pop out on the firewall. I countersunk its 5 holes before later realizing I needed to countersink the f1001EL (I countersunk f1001EL correctly per instructions).

Can I use some sort of structural epoxy to fill and redrill the f1039D or do I need to purchase a new piece? What epoxy should I use? Or if you have another suggestion I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20201110_070744.jpg
    20201110_070744.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 173
I don't know about this specific part but most of the aluminum stamped parts aren't very expensive ... order another and consider that one practice :p

If the countersinks are on opposing sides of the layup, you can use a longer rivet to fill in the countersink on the shop head. Similar to what is done on the rudder trailing edge. This piece is stressed in shear, so No to filling the countersink. You need a full depth hole. Actually, as I think more about it, a double countersink may not provide sufficient shear strength, due to no straight hole depth; It would be plenty strong in tension. Would need to ask a mechanical engineer.

Larry

Last edited:
if you are a builder, as opposed to an assembler, it sure ain’t difficult to manufacture (cut out and bend...) a new part using the same alu type and gage.

Of course that will take some time and you will have to respect minimum bend radius...

I'd order a new part

If it were me I'd get a new part. Like previous poster said, the part will not be that expensive (probably pay more for shipping).

I'm not familiar with the -10 or this part of it but it seems like you could simply cut that 3/4" or so off the part and make a new piece with a joggle to replace it, and rivet that on in its place.

Back