What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winter altimeter

gblwy

Well Known Member
Hi,

I have the original Flightdek D180 and a backup 2.25 inch Winter altimeter.

The D180 shows zero height when the correct barometric pressure is dialled in. When I use the same pressure setting on the Winter altimeter I don't get a zero reading on this instrument. In fact when I adjust the pressure knob on the Winter altimeter to read zero height, there's a difference of about 12 units of pressure between the Dynon and the Winter. I'm using millibars.

The Winter documentation says there is no adjustment or maintenance necessary. They are normally reliable units, used extensively by the gliding community.

Any thoughts on why there should be a constant difference? It's been like that since new, so nothing has changed.

Thanks...Keith

Does the altimeter show the correct elevation on the ground when you dial in the local baro setting? That would tell you which one is off.

Looks likely, certainly it's a 2.25 inch unit. Not sure I understand the instructions, but I'll certainly take a look.

Thanks very much...Keith

Looks likely, certainly it's a 2.25 inch unit. Not sure I understand the instructions, but I'll certainly take a look.

Thanks very much...Keith

Google auto translate sounded better...:)

1. Remove the knurled knob
2. Unscrew the hole nut approximately 1.5 to 2 revolutions with a special screwdriver
3. Re-install the knurled knurled knob
4. Raise the knurled knurled knob, simultaneously rotating or adjusting the millibars scale
5. Insert the knurled knurled knob downwards, then tighten the hole nut again
(Attention: Adjustment of the turning force)

Sounds like the adjustment knob pulls out after loosening some sort of screw/nut that prevents this in normal operation. With the knob pulled out the Mb scale can be adjusted, knob pushed back in and the screw/nut secured.

Perhaps one of our German readers can amplify...

The link above showed two different scenarios for different model numbers. My model number relates to the second scenario (describing a "special screw"). I'll need to remove the instrument cover to investigate further. Thanks anyway for the pointer. I now have something to work on.

Cheers...Keith

Been looking at the Winters as I need a 2.25" model. Just curious, except for the adjustment issue, do you like the unit itself? Easy to read, easy to use?

Yes, absolutely. If it is a local flight, I just set it to zero and use the Dynon to adjust pressure settings as required. I bought the unit with a millibar scale for Europe and 20,000 ceiling. I won't ever get there but I have managed 13,000 feet. The scale maxes out at 1035mb, so might be an issue on a very high pressure day, though I have never had the need. As a standby unit it is compact, reliable, and easy to use/read. It's taken me 5 years to get around to adjusting it to match the Dynon ;-)

Cheers...Keith

Back