What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax minimum RPM setting

Jackkclark

Well Known Member
I recently changed the original Van's throttle cable to a Vernier cable and my minimum RPM setting changed. Before I was getting 1500 to 1600 minimum at idle ( I know to keep it between 1900 and 2200) I see the absolute book value for minimum is 1400. Before I pay to have the minimum RPM adjusted and the carbs synchronized again, what I would like to know is what RPM do you get if you pull the throttle to idle in level flight and what do you show at full idle after warm up sitting still? When I land at 55 to 60 my minimum RPM is 2200 now...and I float and float. Could be just lack of skills!

Thanks to everyone for you comments on the paint job earlier!

Jack,

Recommended idle RPM settings and sync procedures are well documented in Van's and Rotax manuals. Also there have been previous threads here with good info from mechanics and especially Scott. Search this forum on "carburetor.

John

As a new owner of a fantastic ELSA 12, I encountered similar issues of float and concern about idle RPM. I researched the threads on the issue (and there are volumes), I came across an excellent comment reflecting that you can land correctly at any RPM.

It goes back to the very basic elements of landing we learned years ago, "throttle for altitude, pitch for airspeed". I went out and practiced rusty techniques and found that it still holds true. The plane will land at any RPM provided you control airspeed with pitch. I now really pull back the stick in the pattern and while the initial impact may be climb, once airspeed reduces the plane begins to settle and stabilize no matter the RPM.

The plane will land at any RPM provided you control airspeed with pitch.

Not really (though I assume you don't mean literally any RPM.

Sure, you can get the airplane on the back side of the power curve and fly to a landing using higher AOA drag to help you, but why?

Even bush pilots use all kinds of tricks to land at reduced engine idle so that they decide how steep the approach is and at what angle of attack they wish to use... instead of being forced to choose because the engine idle is higher than ideal.

There are (extensively tested) reasons the idle speed is specified what it is.
It seems there are some people that still wish to to promote another way for some reason. That is their prerogative.
For all others I strongly recommend you use the specified idle RPM setting, and then as discussed ad nauseam in many other threads, manually keep the RPM above 1800 for all ground operations

In my humble opinion, changing the throttle cable on any engine requires the idle speed to be checked and adjusted.

On a Rotax 912, changing the throttle cable must have a pneumatic carb balance and idle speed check/adjustment carried out afterwards.

There is absolutely no way the carbs can be balanced properly by simply eye-balling the throttle arms etc when installing the new cables.

As for using high alpha to control speed on an RV-12..... :eek:

I must almost be that guy. I recently changed the throttle. I did recheck the idle and rebalanced the carbs. Took five minutes,

Cheers...Keith

Back