What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV's at CA35, San Rafael?

BillL

Well Known Member
I am planning to visit my daughter in San Francisco (Marina District).

What is the best GA airport close to that location. It seems an easier travel distance than Half Moon bay.

The visit would be one overnight at most.

Any help would be appreciated!

I would recommend taking BART to downtown SF (Montgomery St) then Cable car or bus to Marina district. Concord (KCCR) has a hotel on the field, and is about a mile or so walk to BART. Livermore (KLVK) has hotels in walking distance, BART is about 4 miles away. Bus to BART is sporadic, take an Uber. Half Moon Bay (KHAF) has poor public transport, I don’t know about rental cars. Also unreliable wx (use only if you’re current on LPV approaches). Hayward is closer as the crow flies but for sure you’ll need a longer taxi ride to BART.
As I’m sure you know, for the past week all bay area airports have been ifr due to smoke.

CA35 is private. A public airport in Marin County is Novato, Gnoss Field - KDVO. Yould could Uber to the SMART train station in the town of Novato. The train terminates (south bound) near the Larkspur Ferry (a kind of short walk) and you could then cross the bay and arrive at the San Francisco Ferry Building. Fairly close to the Marina district. Train and Ferry schedules are quite limited and yes there is still a lot of smoke.

From San Carlos (KSQL) you can walk or Uber to the Caltrain station into San Francisco. If you want a car, Hans at San Carlos aviation has nice (Mercedes) rentals available, and can also arrange to get you wherever you need to go.

Also good public transportation from Oakland (check fees!) and hayward.
-Greg

Thanks Guys, this is very helpful. I am IFR current, so the selection will depend on the VMC/IMC conditions. I am looking at public transportation from each airport. Leaving my plane will have to ensure some level of security, so that is on the list as well.

Thanks for the notes on public transpo, that is helpful and I had not considered it. I know how to get anywhere (and have) in Tokyo using public transportation, but not in SF. That will take a little more learning.

All of the airports but one that have been mentioned are pretty well fenced and gated. In fact, you may have to inquire about a code to gain after-hours access. OTOH KHAF is easily accessed from the harbor area, by anyone. A plus if you’re flying in for lunch, but a minus if you’re concerned about security.
When are you coming? Pre-Covid I would recommend against a rental car. Parking in the Marina area was hard to find and/or expensive. Lots of traffic. Parking at suburban BART lots filled up by 7 am weekdays. However, currently, I believe that is not the case. BTW, a face mask is currently mandatory on all public transportation.
Someone mentioned the ferry system. They dock at Embarcadaro, about a 1-2 mile walk to Marina area. Flat, easily done. But the ferrys pretty much just run at rush hours.

Last time I was in SF for a conference, I flew commercial to SFO, then took the BART into town. I was able to find and install an app on my phone that had all of the SF Metro Bus lines, boarding stops, and times. I used it several times to get around the city from the convention center area to the Marina district where my niece was living.

Back