What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O2 fill near KLVK?

DrillBit

Well Known Member
Local Airgas stores don?t have the equipment to transfill an aviator?s O2 bottle. Neither does Five Rivers, the main FBO on the field. Anyone know where folks go to get altitude juice?

I had the same problem and ended up buying my own 80 cf bottle and transfill adapter off ebay. The adapter was around $75.

Have you tried any of the Dive shops, they fill the tank far cheaper and faster than any other aviation shop I have had to deal with.

As of (quite a few) years ago, the shop in the large hangar, south side end closest to the runway, just east (80’) of the south wash rack (got that? I forget their name) would/could do it. Not cheap (IIRC $50).
Let me know if you find something better, or if they’re even still doing it.
There used to be a group bottle on the north side but unfortunately the owner is no longer there.
I wonder, for those who fill their own, if they pay any mind to the hydrostatic pressure test date stamped on their portable bottle?

Last edited:
$50! Wow! I paid around $200 for a 80 cf tank and $75 for transfill adapter. It only cost $25 to fill the tank. It won't take me long to come out. The fill should give me around 16 refills on my 165 l small tank.

I appreciate all the replies, guys. Thanks!

Turns out there?d a dive shop (Dive?N?Trips) < 5 min from my house in P-town that fills O2 bottles for 75 cents per cu ft. Unfortunately, they don?t have an adapter for CGA 540. Mountain High sells an adapter that turns a CGA 540 into a CGA 870 post (used for medical O2 bottles), so once I get that I?m all set.

Regarding cylinder test dates...N748PK got a Mountain High system with a brand new aluminum 14.6 Cu ft bottle for Christmas last year, so I?m righteous with respect to the regs for the next 4.5 yrs. When the time comes, my understanding is dive shops have the equipment for hydro testing.

This post, and many many many like it are why I firmly believe the medical bottles are the way to go. They cost much less to purchase, much less to fill, medical O2 is available almost everywhere (Medical suppliers, gas suppliers, Dive Shops), You can buy an adapter to fill from an aviation source (Aviation people will fill a medical bottle, but medical people will not fill an aviation bottle), they can be trans-filled if that is your cup of tea.

Back