What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pitot location on 12

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i have my pitot line going to the 6th bay in from wingtip on the right wing. same as where stall warning is on left wing. any recommendations for fore and aft where it would do its job best? i want to keep it under the wing. thanks for any info.

i have my pitot line going to the 6th bay in from wingtip on the right wing. same as where stall warning is on left wing. any recommendations for fore and aft where it would do its job best? i want to keep it under the wing. thanks for any info.

Bob,

The photo may not be too helpful. I'll try to remember to take a measurement the next time out to the airport. Sorry the photo came out so large.

43245345251_f112cff3bb_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_0224 by Tom Valenzia, on Flickr[/IMG]

I used the Dynon pitot mast installation instructions and template for the RV series as a starting point. Basically just forward of the spar and adjacent to a forward wing rib. I went with a Dynon heated pitot/AOA and the control unit is installed on the access panel for the stall warn switch. The weight required a doubler that is tied into the two wing ribs. If you are going with a simple bent tube you may get by with a smaller doubler tied to the rib with the flange side in the bay you are installing it in (depending on how you will clamp the tube in the wing).

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

my pitot is aluminum tube and it is mounted in an inspection plate, same plate as is used on the belly. i had planned to use 8 nutplates to secure plate to wing skin. my thinking was that plate is stiff enough to add enough support to area .
i could put a doubler around the edge of the hole and secure it with the nutplates. i thought this would be plenty of reinforcement. this is a 130 mph plane, not 180 mph. am i wrong?

Bob,

Reference post #4.

My pitot tube is mounted approximately 6" aft of the leading edge. (It took two trips to the airport for me to remember to do this!)

thanks for all the info . probably will cut the wing skin tomorrow. as on another build i will use soft flexible alum. tubing for the tube. it can be replaced in 1/2 hour and not very likely to transfer shock, trauma to the wing skin.

Back