What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow Performance check valve

smithflys23

Well Known Member
I went out to fly My RV8 today, and didn?t get any fuel pressure from the electric boost pump when I attempted to prime the engine. The pump came on, just no fuel flow. I suspected that perhaps I had an indication problem, and cranked the engine. Startup took slightly longer than usual. Normal fuel pressure appeared, but no rise with the boost pump.

Long story short, I removed, and disassembled the Airflow Performance unit. This was quite a chore in case anyone was wondering. Apparently, I had a stuck check valve. I never really saw anything obvious that would cause the problem. I reassembled, and reinstalled the pump assembly. Fortunately, the boast pump functioned normally.

Has anyone else experienced a stuck check valve on the Airflow Performance set up? If so, how did you remedy the problem? Did the problem return?

I appreciate the link. This is one of the articles I came across, but it’s not really applicable. This article deals with an elaborate fuel system for an RV10, and an IO540. My problem is isolated to the Airflow Performance assembly.

Last edited:
I flew this morning, and everything worked as advertised for startup and takeoff.
After flying aerobatics, and doing some inverted flight, the problem returned.
I?ve been doing more inverted flight as of late, and I wondering if that could somehow be a contributing factor, although I?m not sure how.

Unfortunately, it seems like I?m going to have to remove the assembly once again.

Do you have a filter before the pump??

Just thinking the acro could be causing some loose crud in the tank to get into the fuel pump.

Do you have a filter before the pump??

Just thinking the acro could be causing some loose crud in the tank to get into the fuel pump.

I do, and thats a good point. The Airflow performance filter in inline with the pump.
That being said, fuel pressure via the engine driven pump is fine. Something is causing the electric boost pump to get bypassed, while allowing normal fuel flow.

Back