What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cameras for documenting the build

Latech15

Well Known Member
I am about to begin construction on my Rv-10 and I would like to document the process. I see quite a few youtube videos where people have cameras mounted in their shops and speed it up in a time lapse format. I would like to set that up in my shop. I don't have internet out there, so I will need something that records to some removable storage that I can take to the office for editing.

Does anybody have any recommendations on a good setup for a couple of cameras?

You can set up a go pro camera to take pictures at a specified interval for time lapse. Later on you can put it in the cockpit with a simple adapter in the headset cord to record both video and audio during flight.

You can also get cameras that are motion triggered, always on. We used an AXIS camera for the build, it just fired up anytime someone walked in and sent video to my Mac. Don't forget to back up your videos.

Also, if you do use a motion trigger, don't forget to take out the bits where you come down in the middle of the night butt-*** naked to turn off the compressor, the FSDO wasn't amused :D

+1 on the GoPro set to time lapse. Just point it at the action. At the end of the day just play it like a movie and pull out the images you want and toss the rest. No special software needed.
I keep maybe a half a dozen out of 2500 images.

Are the go pro batteries good enough to last the day?

It seems like mine is always dead. Come to think of it, I?d hate to have to worry about charging it up every time I went to the shop for a few minutes.

I do like the idea of the motion detecting ones, but again, I don?t have WiFi in my shop so the auto transfer is going to be an issue. I?d like to just walk in and stick a thumb drive into it and get to work.

Wyze

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html

hard to beat this for $20, it's designed to be connected to the internet but does have a micro sd that can record 2-3 days at a time in HD w/ a 32GB card much longer if SD is ok.

FAQ about offline use: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-u...y-camera-offline-without-internet-connection-

I have several. Awesome little canera for the price. Not sure if it does single frame. It does have motion and sound trigger as well as area isolation. Pretty easy to set up an area to look for motion. It records a 12 second file when triggered. You can also pull the micro SD card and use the looped video. Mine record over 24 hours. Also they allow access to others for viewing if you want the family to be able to see you. If connected to WIFI, access allows the person to talk and hear through the cam. Pretty cool for $20.
I use them as nature and security cams.

I purchased a dedicated Time Lapse camera. Looks like it is no longer available from Amazon.

When I purchased it, I could have gone a lot cheaper but it took more work on my part. I also wanted 1080P but settled for 720 because of cost and availability.

It appears that they have a newer model now. Amazon has it but it is about twice the price than the one I purchased years ago.

Here is my RV-8 wing build video taken with the TLC200 of my wing build. Work was done over two or three years in two different states. Video was combined into one single file using free iMovie on a Mac. 357 hours of work compressed into 2-minutes 20-seconds. I used 1 image every 5-minutes played back at 30-frames per second.

cool video

...Here is my RV-8 wing build video taken with the TLC200 of my wing build. Work was done over two or three years in two different states. Video was combined into one single file using free iMovie on a Mac. 357 hours of work compressed into 2-minutes 20-seconds. I used 1 image every 5-minutes played back at 30-frames per second.
Gary, that was far cooler than I thought it would be! I will certainly do this for my next build. :)

The more I think about it while I like the wyze cam I suggested as a video feed,a dedicated time-lapse camera, like what Gary listed, would be wayyy better for what you're thinking about. just the amount of time you'd save on even very simple editing if it came out all ready to go would be huge. The time saved vs editing a video feed would likely be worth the extra money and then some over a 1,000 plus hr build!

Brinno

I use the Brinno Time Lapse Camera.

https://www.brinno.com/time-lapse-camera/TLC200Pro

Batteries last a very long time. Or you can plug in to a USB port for power without batteries.

It does all the time lapse work for you. You just put an SD card in and press go.

You can adjust many settings.

Basically it it takes a photo every X seconds and then makes a video in seconds when you press stop. You can adjust X to what you want.

You can see the videos on my blog site.

Ian

Are the go pro batteries good enough to last the day?

It seems like mine is always dead. Come to think of it, I?d hate to have to worry about charging it up every time I went to the shop for a few minutes. ................SNIP...............

I just keep mine plugged into a USB port and don't worry about the batteries.

I just keep mine plugged into a USB port and don't worry about the batteries.

Same here. I keep mine on a tripod plugged into a USB charger in the corner. If I want to move it closer to the action it has enough battery power for several hours worth of time lapse video. Plug it in again before I leave the shop. I grab the files off the SD card every few weeks.

That reminds me that I need to spend some time grabbing video tonight. In the beginning I had grand plans to document everything with time lapse video and detailed blogs. It turns out that I really like building more than dealing with all of that. Now it's something that I'll look back at years from now, not something I spend a lot of time on today.

Wyze Cam

For the money, there is no better camera than Wyze. I have several around the house, at the hangar and if I were building, I would certainly use one. You won't be sorry.

Back