What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Early Skyview Classic xpnder 261 and 470 ADSB In

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
I'm in the trouble shooting phase or getting everything on my Skyview Classic working. Plane is S/N 120212, very early on for the Skyview Classic system, from what I am told.

I am getting a message that the xpnder 261 is not working and that the SV-470 ADSB-in is not getting power.

I've gone through and pulled all the D plugs, sprayed down with CRC electrical Contact Cleaner both male and female sides on both ends of every serial plug in cord involved.... Skyview unit, SV-470 unit and xpnder 261 unit, as well as on the Van's junction box.

The 470 is not gettting power, and since everything flows, power wise, from the Van's box, I am beginning to think something needs looking into in the Van's box "brain" that everything hooks up to?

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot?

First thing that I want to do is get all the "Set Up" settings for each serial port to each device. Is that a Dynon Service Tech line call or a Call to Van's Technical Support, since Van's makes the box, and I kind of doubt two Dynon devices would fail at the same time?

One is just not getting power, the other appears to be able to create squawk codes when asked on flight following, but it's not showing up a squawk code on the top bar, or AP settings, just horizontal X's up there?

The Dynon stuff can be somewhat confusing to me with all the serial porting and settings...

Lot's of debugging to do, would really like to start taking more flying lessons, but all this has to be fixed before that can begin to happen. I'd like everything working as it should, before I start paying to only have a flight instructor chew me out for a glass EFIS that doesn't have everything functioning 100%.

Last edited:
Trying to help

Niner
Have you dowloaded the Dynon Installation manual for the Skyview? It sounds like your equipment is not set up correctly, I doubt it's the Van's AV-50000 box.

There are specific steps to follow to set up the hardware and the serial ports, here is an excerpt from the IM:
i-fc8JTsX-L.png

Check the serial port set ups. You might be able to see what is wrong. Take a photo of each serial port setup. If you see problems call Dynon support. I wouldn't change any of the serial setups until you are sure what you are doing.

Situation resolved... packets sent, packets received, zero errors, for each serial port.

Serial port 1 is NONE,

Serial port 2 is SV-470 ADSB IN,

Serial port 3 is 261 XPNDR

Serial 4 is Com for Garmin SL40 radio,

Serial port 5 is GPS-2020 antenna for ADSB- Out, which I need here being near LAX 30 mile radius donut airspace.

I pitched the prop at 71.8, a little more shallow bite, for a little bit better climbing rate, since I am a student and will be doing a lot of landings. I got both of them spot on matched in pitch, torqued to 120 inch pounds for the prop hub.

Managed to thread the choke cable very carefully with counter clockwise twisting motion, back on to the retainer that attaches to the choke lever. A cable too long could poke into your carb fuel feed line, so pay attention to that.

Will get both choke cable ends wrapped in black shrink wrap tomorrow.

A very productive 2.5 hours this morning, for me, progress being made.

Last edited:
Back