What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailing edge sealer for elevators & Rudder

Could anyone give me a brand name of a (Tank) sealer to use on the stiffeners tips on the trailing edge of my RV8 rudder and elevators. How much should I put on each one and Total amount of product ounces I should purchase. I will be trying to buy this at my local hardware store. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

If you are buying it at your local hardware store then its just going to be whatever RTV they sell, the exact brand doesnt matter too much. Just prep there surfaces, put a small blob on and back rivet it. One tube is more than plenty

If you want to buy it online then you want actual fuel tank sealant from Van's or spruce. Hardware store RTV is perfectly fine in this application in my opinion.

I like to use ?sensor safe? RTV. It doesn?t have that awful acetic acid smell and since it doesn?t contain acetic acid, it is not corrosive to aluminum.

Thank you for the reply. I actually have some coming from vans now but the post office doesn?t seem to know where it?s at. And I?m sure what I ordered will not be enough and I can always use it later. Thanks again!!

Back