What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now based at KVNY...

GimpyPilot

Well Known Member
Hi gang...

So I just acquired my RV-7A, and ferried it from KOMN in Ormond Beach, Florida. I am based at KVNY; (Van Nuys Airport, as featured in One-Six-Right). Thanks to Richie, (Builder), and Daniel, (Richie's CFII and my co-ferry pilot).

I've seen a couple other RVs on the ramp, (Prop Park West), and I'd love to compare notes. Send me a PM if you're "around" or would like to meet for a burger at KCMA Waypoint Cafe or something.

ngiZpvQ.jpg

I see that there's an EAA chapter nextdoor at KWHP, but I feel a little silly having bought my way into the club. :rolleyes:

Welcome, Michael.
I am based in Fallbrook (L18), and there are quite a number of RV's in SoCal. Occasionally, you will see posts about flying somewhere for lunch.. hope to meet you one of those times. Or post your own, and inevitably, people will show up.

Josh

Welcome Michael,
I recently purchased a 7A as well.... based at KWHP. I built a 6A back in the nineties, put 500 hours on it over 6 years, then sold it in 2004.
Decided to get flying again last year..... found a beauty in January and bought it.
(Looks very similar to yours; would post photo but can?t figure out how to!)

Lots of RVs over here at Whiteman. (15-20!)

Regards,
Walt Hastings
2010 RV-7A
N57LW

Hi Walt,

Our birds could be sisters. You've got three blades, but beyond that our airplanes appear very similar. Good lookin' birds these are. My photo doesn't show just how similar the colors are. (Incidentally, it seems we made similar flights on Sunday, too.)

I've been meaning to get over to WHP and the EAA chapter, but haven't gotten to it yet, given the present circumstances.

Keep in touch! It would be fun to compare notes.

Last edited:
Will do Michael.... I?m retired so I can fly most any day, ( if weather is good). Would love to meet up for breakfast or lunch somewhere. Is the cafe at CMA open for business currently?
My contact info:

[email protected]
661-244-7178

hello michael,
walt is correct, at WHP we have quite a few RV's.
I am next door to Walt. fly over one day to visit.

can you guys see the Pic? It's always a chore to figure out how to post pics. I wish it was easy and simple.

ukK2CCvt224rKdbi3xIc1HECJtJxkq1goxV6f7S7sDncR-t4UTIopOTlyB-BtyFQa7VdOpnbHIhU35nqmsTlBaIDNt0A0riGQfVTWOV50TjFo3sTp3nGOGrlV0mpPTlKRSqdjnYERL5jRyG3Otb3tRv06vpzuBobmU_Sax33y4r-GcYfxppB1hFyGNaVFkXLCk3EiGbPqABGnRphsweD1rsmssKcfzwmZ4dYlX8AnFQF8C9Ju7Gqpkrdi7vUu0Ah0OW1qgr46KzKHm6d_WIxF5CmTLLssKEX6ttA9EObTHRDk7T6RRlMY71IqTbkRxNd3UTjeV5w2BYSHZ7XfbJLvyJ8xaYD4BkZPnS8zOCCZ9HteCR5k4T-4pN_U8rO7J6lmv-_xFXQgsUMlw5m8d3DcrA9AbJ2JTeyDiibT2S5wwzji-3mK_WFd-SF-HhItLAYZmrbK6LmcPRv5vgupcZahb7PvrHXuOwBzio0y1kNEmNcE70DMBLKYkkTL0dUL-QNpiUZq2hMj5a8OukcxKhw-fDR1LO4Eg-2VLiMOfHeaPbrjw-gtxiffGRntsjpEASlqq_5VFaX1fLvv0ULRR2rNqljg_7MIulDntDSFxS96-8yuou2tkR61CfkQJNOq3aFZInIyFLTY_T8R9P-g37LMkkg2E9zYOrgCd4xd20u0oa9xzXYYWn_txOJFSdE9Q=w825-h619-no

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for the welcome. I will find my way over to WHP soon! I fly on a waiver which requires hand operated brakes. I've got a design and I've actually got all the parts. What I haven't had is time to actually execute of the mod. Until that's done, (perhaps next week), my flying is limited to either my "old" airplane, or with a right seater in the new one.

I will be in touch!

There are a ton of RVs at WHP...come on over and say hi! No restaurant here (yet...they keep talking about getting one in the terminal, but it hasn't happened yet), but plenty of nice people and great-looking planes :). Here's mine...I probably "stole" elements of the design from yours, Walt's, and a half dozen others when I was figuring out the paint scheme LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_1279_A.jpg
    IMG_1279_A.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 163
Finally got an in flight photo of my 7A...thanks Ed!

Attachments

• 68C3695C-D643-4C2D-B8D0-7D8C4A010BD3.jpeg
    68C3695C-D643-4C2D-B8D0-7D8C4A010BD3.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 154
If you zoom in on photo above .....I’m taking a photo of Ed, ( 86ED), taking a photo of me!

Attachments

• 3E8673C4-3D40-4450-980D-CFA1D8EAF8E2.jpg
    3E8673C4-3D40-4450-980D-CFA1D8EAF8E2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 167
Welcome and congrats on your -7A! I'm just a few minutes south at KCPM. PM me if you ever wanna go flying or come down here for lunch. There's lots of good restaurants within 10 minutes of here where we usually pick up food and eat at my hangar.

2019-11-29-05-43-56.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Doing this for RVator97. We bumped into him yesterday at KSZP getting fuel, on a rare "fly day" today, weather wise.

That "highway" in the backround going up the coast is Ventura Highway... maybe you remember a song written about it by a band called "America" back in the 1970's. https://youtu.be/pgMaQy66oCw

Walt, it's OK to take selfies when they are this good! LOL!

Last edited:
I flew with Michael K. today. He knows quite a few of you... I definitely need to get over to WHP a bit now that the world is starting to open up again and gatherings are not as dangerous.

EAA chapters are filled with both builders and non builders. Do not hesitate to take advantage of this resource. Many EAA members are not pilots.

I want to second that concept. it's EAA not EABA.

Experimental Aircraft Association
vs.
Experimental Aircraft Builders Association

I believe your aircraft says Experimental on it don't it?

BTW our chapter has folks with certified aircraft in it also.

So any one that thinks EAA is not for them You are all welcome.

I just wanted to mention that while the Van Nuys FSDO is the subject of many unflattering stories and a long mythos of impossibility, I did receive my now required flight training LODA this morning. A couple of emails back and forth resolved a small error, and the manager who processed and (electronically) signed my LODA took a proactive approach to resolution. I had a positive experience.

I am left wondering why some FSDOs answer phone calls and accept walk-in visitors and some do not. (Our FSDO has a no visitors policy based on "national security" concerns, and more recently Covid.) That is combined with an IVR (voice attendant) that makes phone interaction nearly impossible, seemingly by design. Why is our FSDO so different from others? I see folks here posting about phone calls and visits and such with other FSDOs. Is our Flight Safety office just too busy for us? If so, how can we help them help us? I would guess it's the "little guys" like us that could especially use their help.

Last edited:
Back