What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAA15CA093. Lorain/Elyria, OH. RV-6A Probable Cause published: 07/29/2015

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, May 23, 2015 in Lorain/Elyria, OH
Probable Cause Approval Date: 07/29/2015
Aircraft: ROGERS HOMER/ROGERS SHEILA RV 6A, registration: N3086Q
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot reported that during the landing flare, the left wing lifted up and the stall warning horn sounded. He stated the airplane immediately descended, impacted the ground, and slid off the runway. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the firewall.

The pilot reported no pre-impact mechanical failures or malfunctions that would have precluded normal operation.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
?The pilot's failure to maintain airplane attitude control during the landing flare, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall, hard landing, and runway excursion.

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, May 23, 2015 in Lorain/Elyria, OH
Probable Cause Approval Date: 07/29/2015
Aircraft: ROGERS HOMER/ROGERS SHEILA RV 6A, registration: N3086Q
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

The pilot reported that during the landing flare, the left wing lifted up......

I don't know the aircraft or the pilot but I had the same thing happen to me at the same airport. I was lucky enough to get it under control before touching down. The runway is between rows of tall trees. Wind boils over them and it frequently gets turbulent. Sorry for your aircraft loss. At least no injuries were sustained.

Back