What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4 point vs. 5 point belts...

The aviation article I read said that they found after the initial impact the body slams backwards and it is then that whiplash or broken necks occur. I find I like having a headrest for comfort besides.

G-force harness -- heavy!

I flew the standard 4-pt harness for 14 years in the RV-6. Then one Saturday morning going into Moontown for breakfast I hit the worst turbulence I have ever experienced--for the first time I was concerned about what would happen if the latch popped loose and whether or not I would exit through the canopy. :eek:

Came home and ordered a G-Force 5-pt harness, the same one I've driven in the Stalker V6 kit car for ten years. It is a bit heavy but reasonably priced with a real latch that won't pop loose. Turbulence will still bounce the RV around but now I know I won't end up in the baggage compartment or take an unplanned excursion from the plane if a sleeve snags the latch.

A bit heavy?

6.5 pounds compared to 1 pound for the car belt and shoulder straps I had in my old RV-3!

In an RV-4 that's 13 pounds vs 2 pounds.

Finn

Back