What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping project from US to CAN

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a good lead on a project in the US. Due to the border closure I’m considering having it shipped to my house in Ontario. Can anyone offer any tips, suggestions or company recommendations?

Thanks for your time

Free stuff for your project

Hey Joe,
In preparation for your project arriving in Canada, I have a fuselage dolly and a fuselage rotisserie dolly yours for the taking. Take one or both. Located at Oshawa Airport (CYOO). Cheers.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A+ 85%
AeroSport Power IO-375 M1S (195hp)
Garmin G3X Touch 2 screen panel

Be aware that the inspection process is different in Canada than the US. In the US inspection only takes place when complete. In Canada all components require inspection before they are closed up. If your project has completed parts this could be a problem you should look into before deciding.

Be aware that the inspection process is different in Canada than the US. In the US inspection only takes place when complete. In Canada all components require inspection before they are closed up. If your project has completed parts this could be a problem you should look into before deciding.

Thanks Ron. I appreciate it. I was reminded when talking to another builder the other day that we require a pre cover while (ie. tail) while they don't south of the border.

Thanks Mike. Will do

My ears are burning.... is this kit in crates that can be handled by a common carrier, or is it in pieces?

If it's in pieces, you have very few options other than renting a truck or trailer (in Canada) that is insured to cross the border, pick up the components, then drive back and import it personally at the border, followed by two weeks of COVID isolation.

If it's in crates, you can use a suffrage house at the border on the American side. They can arrange pickup with a common carrier (they often offer excellent shipping rates). That gets it to their warehouse on the US side. They work in partnership with a Canadian freight forwarder, who you also get to pay to bring it into Canada. You take the Canadian side paperwork, plus your bill of sale and go to the nearest customs location to clear it yourself (no brokerage fees). You can also pay brokerage fees for someone to do it for you. Once your taxes are paid, you are good to go.

Do not go to the US unless you are prepared to self-isolate at home for two weeks after returning.

V

Hey Vern,

Thanks for all the information. The kit is opened but basically untouched. Mute point now because the owner doesn’t really feel like accommodating any additional hoops.

Keep you posted if anything changes.
Take care

Back