Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-30-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Likely individual loose connections -- not related. Check all associated connectors and wiring. You can swap EGT leads from left side to right side to see if fault follows wiring or probe.
Will do David. Sounds like it..
Old 06-30-2020, 05:53 PM

I just went through intermittent oil pressure, and Left EGT, as well as Right EGT with red X's or showing false EGT's 525 F on a cold motor. The wires in those sensors are really too small to crimp effectively.

I'd be more inclined to put some heat shrink on first, without shrinking, then soldering the connections together, then heat shrink each wire, then another heat shrink over both connections, then zip tie as needed. Leave some slack in the wiring.

The spade connectors are not the most reliable, followed by getting good crimps on butted connectors on very thin wire, especially on the EGT sensors.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 PM

Soldered wire connections can be very unreliable in a high vibration environment if not done correctly.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Soldered wire connections can be very unreliable in a high vibration environment if not done correctly.
10 wraps, 5 and 5 on each side, like a blood knot for joining two fishing lines, supported by heat shrink to prevent flexing.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
10 wraps, 5 and 5 on each side, like a blood knot for joining two fishing lines, supported by heat shrink to prevent flexing.
I am very familiar with all of the different ways to do soldered electrical splices.

I have also repaired a few that fatigue failed underneath wire insulation or heat shrink.

Now a days most professional shops use THESE in situations where a solder splice is acceptable (well restrained and isolated from any influence of vibration).

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 AM

May be a picture you can upload?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM

It?s called a ?Western Union? splice. Do a web search and you?ll find lots of images.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I am very familiar with all of the different ways to do soldered electrical splices.

I have also repaired a few that fatigue failed underneath wire insulation or heat shrink.

Now a days most professional shops use THESE in situations where a solder splice is acceptable (well restrained and isolated from any influence of vibration).
Preferred methods for isolating from any influence of vibration?

Pretty much anything, hoses, and such that are uses with tie wrap to secure wires, are mounted on parts of the engine, and so close and with such short lengths, as to be exposed to vibration.

Trying to learn here, the right way to isolate.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 PM

Went to the field and opend the cowl to see the faulty EGT L probe. It was clear: when installed the cable connecting the probe was bend in a tight angle and therefore caused a lot of stress. Wiggling it would make the reading come and go. So its obviously shorted. Will have to order a new probe and make sure it doesn't have a tight bend. The right right EGT probe didn't have a tight / bend angle to it. Thats working fine.

Thank you all for your input.
Monir