What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

End of an era

rongawer

Well Known Member
I've done so many VOR approaches into Palo Alto over the years, I took a moment to reflect on the change when I got the notice from the FAA aerochart folks saying the approach would be cancelled effective 8/13/2020.

It's always been my "quick turn in" compared to the longer route needed for the RNAV. Not really impactful in the big scheme of things, but sad to see it go. Kind of reminds me of when I removed the ADF unit from my Baron and no longer did NDB approaches.

Change may be good, but it's still change. Kind of like my old coffee cup, the VOR was a faithful servant. RIP.

I've done so many VOR approaches into Palo Alto over the years, I took a moment to reflect on the change when I got the notice from the FAA aerochart folks saying the approach would be cancelled effective 8/13/2020.

It's always been my "quick turn in" compared to the longer route needed for the RNAV. Not really impactful in the big scheme of things, but sad to see it go. Kind of reminds me of when I removed the ADF unit from my Baron and no longer did NDB approaches.

Change may be good, but it's still change. Kind of like my old coffee cup, the VOR was a faithful servant. RIP.

I am 39 years old now, and my first trip to PAO that I can remember was when I was 5 years old.

I hung out at PAO a lot growing up. I remember when it had no approaches.. then when the VOR approach came. Much later, the GPS approach came, of course. True that SJC traffic at times posed a problem with the VOR approach, but I never minded the wait.

I guess it's just a sign of what's to come. Heck, my RV does not even have a VOR!

Yo Ed. When you were in Kalifornia you could do that with Moffett and turn out to PAO but Moffett now wants you at 1500 which is usually above the stratus. Actually the best way was shoot the ILS to SJC get below the stratus and Moffett would-let you through at about 700 feet. Then they said no. Oh well

Yo Ed. When you were in Kalifornia you could do that with Moffett and turn out to PAO but Moffett now wants you at 1500 which is usually above the stratus. Actually the best way was shoot the ILS to SJC get below the stratus and Moffett would-let you through at about 700 feet. Then they said no. Oh well

We used to do an approach (LOC?) into HWD, and then scoot across the SF Bay, roughly following the Dumbarton.

For me, I just do the RNAV 31 and enjoy the view, but definitely ILS down to below the layer at HWD would work. Or just find a "hole" in the layer and carry on smartly...

Back