What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Artex 345 buzzer

RBR

Well Known Member
When I arrived at the hangar this morning, the buzzer associated with my 345 ELT was emitting a continuous low volume, high pitched tone. Whilst I await an answer from Artex has anyone experienced this before? A continuous tone is not featured in the operating manual under troubleshooting. Disconnecting the D-sub connector cancelled the noise.

Following flight, the ELT was re-connected and tested. The result was as expected. The test was passed.

Thoughts?

If there is no 121MHz being transmitted then it could be an internal fault and the unit needs to be sent to ARTEX for repair. I had the same issue with mine and and since it was fairly new at the time, ARTEX just replaced the unit at no cost. In my case it was a fault with the buzzer circuitry NOT the ELT portion of the unit. The ELT portion was working fine.

:cool:

Last edited:
Looking through my files I found where I wrote down how to check it. See if you have any voltage between Pin 7 & 8 of the DB plug on the unit. If there is any voltage there, then the problem quite possibly is with the internal buzzer circuitry.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Galin,

I finally got mine completely installed. When I pulled the airplane out and got the GTN650 to get a position, I tested the ELT and got the desired one long flash of the LED and buzzer with a 121.5 sweeping tone.

However, with the ELT only Armed and the GPS up and running, I?m getting a very faint buzzer sound once a second. This pulsing buzzer sound goes away when I pull the breaker for the GTN. I suspect I?m somehow hearing the RS-232 position signal leaking into the buzzer.
I followed the instructions carefully and used shielded wire with good grounds, so I suspect this might be an issue with the ELT itself.

Has anyone else come across this very quiet buzzer issue with the GPS?

The ARTEX ELT 345 Manual on page 45 shows where to check for voltage. Check between pins 7 & 8. You will more than likely need to contact ARTEX to do a complete troubleshooting of the unit. :(

Last edited:
When I arrived at the hangar this morning, the buzzer associated with my 345 ELT was emitting a continuous low volume, high pitched tone. Whilst I await an answer from Artex has anyone experienced this before? A continuous tone is not featured in the operating manual under troubleshooting. Disconnecting the D-sub connector cancelled the noise.

Following flight, the ELT was re-connected and tested. The result was as expected. The test was passed.

Thoughts?

Just purchased an RV and walked out to the hangar this morning to hear a high pitched noise. It is come from the same elt buzzer. What ended up being the resolution with yours?

Of course it's 6:12 central time so I can't call the manufacturer. This is going to annoy me all weekend.

Thanks

Back