What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP roll servo installation

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Mind sharing your approach to Garmin AP roll servo installation? Did you:

Utilize a Garmin adapter kit?
Start with and modify a kit?
Build your own?

I'm going to assume a below floor installation is easier with the limited interior wing access we have. Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

floor vs wing

I did both on my 8 - and found the wing install to be cleaner and I feel "safer". The Garmin kit is great, as is the Dynon and GRT. The Dynon instructions are available on the web, and if you have a look there, I think you will find it to be pretty easy.

I did both on my 8 - and found the wing install to be cleaner and I feel "safer". The Garmin kit is great, as is the Dynon and GRT. The Dynon instructions are available on the web, and if you have a look there, I think you will find it to be pretty easy.

Thanks. It's looking like there's enough differences between the 4 and 8 wings to overly complicate a wing installation. While there's always a way, the bellcrank is in a single (spacial) plane. That could probably be easily overcome. Finding somewhere to attach the motor support side could prove tricky. All of this through a single access panel. My wings are already closed up.

I used the TruTrak bracket mounted under the floor. It was a relatively easy install. You just need to make sure you locate it away from the heel buckets. I’ve since replaced the TruTrak servos with Garmin ones.

FYI If you are going to install a Garmin A/P then use the Garmin mounting kits. Dynon roll brackets will not and I repeat will not work with Garmin servo installation per its instructions. With that said you can make it work and I imagine some have but it is not correct and you can see some problems later on. When my Garmin A/P was installed, they used a Dynon bracket and hardware. it was not correct but it worked. But, I then started to see the bracket bending. My advice use only the MFG. installation kits!!!

FYI If you are going to install a Garmin A/P then use the Garmin mounting kits. Dynon roll brackets will not and I repeat will not work with Garmin servo installation per its instructions. With that said you can make it work and I imagine some have but it is not correct and you can see some problems later on. When my Garmin A/P was installed, they used a Dynon bracket and hardware. it was not correct but it worked. But, I then started to see the bracket bending. My advice use only the MFG. installation kits!!!

Wing mount or fuse mount, Sir? Did you use a Garmin mount from a different RV kit?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I used the TruTrak bracket mounted under the floor. It was a relatively easy install. You just need to make sure you locate it away from the heel buckets. I’ve since replaced the TruTrak servos with Garmin ones.
Same here, except for being an RV-8. I installed a TruTrak Vision 385 a few years ago using the standard TT subfloor mount bracket for the roll servo. When upgrading to a Garmin autopilot, Stein mentioned it was perfectly fine to use the TT brackets to mount the Garmin servos. Easy install and access, works just fine.

Autopilot servo mount

In the Rockets, (Garmin setup) I’ve seen the roll servo mounted just forward of the spar below the front stick. A tab riveted to the top of the torque tube where a small actuator rod attaches between the servo and the tab. It’s a tight install but obviously works.

Back