What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VA193 Wingtip Lens - scratch removal

MS19087

Well Known Member
So these new lenses aren?t Lexan like my old RV9 had. They are a softer plastic. Very sensitive to chemicals too. I have a small scratch I?d like to remove. Any suggestions on correct approach?
Thanks

Is this lens made of POLYCARBONATE?

Is this lens made of POLYCARBONATE? If so, Novus #3 is not recommended.
Comments?

Butyrate is the material

I quick call into Vans confirmed the material is Butyrate - Now I need to research how (if possible) to remove minor surface scratches . . .

Last edited:
Anything can be polished.

I don't know about the 14, but the 7 lenses are melted with isopropyl alcohol.

I took some (many) scratches out with a series of sand paper then polishing with 3m #3, #2, and #1 cut and buff polish - - all by hand.

When sanding , 800 was only used for the deep scratches, then 1000, 1500, 2000, 3500 (Trizac), then the polishes with cotton flannel cloth. So many grades was overkill as an experiment, doubling the grit is good enough I think. All done wet by hand. A 5000 Triazac would be recommended before polish compound to speed the process, but I did not have any.

Each sanding level was unidirectional followed by the next at 90 deg until the previous sanding was not visible.

Back