What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane - Stolen Identity

Brantel

Well Known Member
Apparently someone in TX has stolen my airplane's identity or has fat fingered their ADS-B settings. I got an alert from Flightaware today that my bird was spotted enroute.

Happy to say my bird is safe in her hangar!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 427
New ADS-B equipment misconfigurations like this one isn't that uncommon. Hopefully it will be corrected when his ADS-B report comes back with errors, or more likely unavailable.

:cool:

I had a Cessna Citation do that to ours.

Its tail number is the same as ours except for a single added zero on the jet.

There must be transponders (I assume the jet is Mode S/1090 Out to go in Flight levels). It's surprising they can fat finger the N# to get the ICAO octals into the mode S address/s.

I had my plane show up in Texas, and the east coast in the last year. Only happened once in each place, and for a very short period of time.

Oddly enough, I once saw a flight on flightaware in California showing the tail number of a friend's antique airplane, based in PA, which has no electrical system nor transponder. This was pre ADS-B, so I'm guessing it was an error on the part of ATC, copying a tail number incorrectly.

It is enlightening to know it is possible to become someone else if needed. ;) To protect the innocent that is.

Oddly enough, I once saw a flight on flightaware in California showing the tail number of a friend's antique airplane, based in PA, which has no electrical system nor transponder. This was pre ADS-B, so I'm guessing it was an error on the part of ATC, copying a tail number incorrectly.

This is likely what happened with the above examples as well. If it were an ADSB issue it would be a continuous issue as opposed to a one off situation where a controller fat fingers an entry

Apparently someone in TX has stolen my airplane's identity or has fat fingered their ADS-B settings. I got an alert from Flightaware today that my bird was spotted enroute.

Happy to say my bird is safe in her hangar!

They did not want anyone they knew to know they were on the way to Ardmore, OK 😜 There is actually a pretty good restaurant on the field there that only does lunch on Monday-Friday

Back