What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheels and Brakes

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
Looks like my RV-4 project did not come with slave cylinders.

Came with set of Cleveland 40-78B wheels and a set of discs -- one of them bent (unusable). Then I have a set of discs from my old RV-3, one of them bent (also unusable) and the other with a badly pitted disc.

Trying to arrive at the lightest and most economical solution. A Cleveland brake cylinder assembly appears to be more than $500?

Rapco discs about $95 each.

I never paid attention to wheels and brakes before. My old RV-3 project came with everything needed.

Anyone that have done the research and can give me some pointers?

Finn

Wheels and brakes

Hi Finn, consider Matco aircraft. Vans changed to them to supply wheel and brake kits when cleveland prices got to high.
Rotor from Matco is $84.11, interchangeable with Cleveland. Master cylinder around $110 or so depending on model.
Check with Vans for Matco part numbers. Vans may also sell the same pieces at competitive pricing.

Solved

Thank you David.

I do have the master cylinders. But good to know about the Matco.

I found the slave cylinders from my old totaled RV-3. Yeah!

One of the Cleveland discs appear serviceable.

My wheels are Cleveland 40-78B. Looks like the disc for those are the 164-1700.

I was able to find the Cleveland to Rapco cross reference.

If I can borrow my neighbor's lathe I might be able to turn down the pitted disc and still be above the 4.242mm minimum thickness.

Otherwise the Rapco RA164-1700 at $89 plus shipping from ACS East sounds reasonable.

When I bought my RV-3 project back in 1996, the seller mentioned that it included Cleveland wheels and brakes. I thought "So what?". Now I know why he mentioned that.

Astonishing that one Cleveland 40-78A 5.00-5 wheel assembly now is $1,600. That's $3,200 for just the wheels and no brakes, tubes and tires! I may have a used pair for sale :)

Finn

Back