What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SV-32 elevator servo orientation

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
Installing a Dynon SV-32 elevator servo in my RV-4.

I have a clearance problem at the AN3H-4A bolt head and the shop head rivets in the bell crank if I install it on the left side of the airplane, as shown on the install drawing. (The bolt installs on the inside of mounting angle and has star washer and AN960-10 washer under its head, which adds up close to 1/4".)

Does the servo care which way it is installed?

In other words, does it know how fore/aft movement of its arm translates to elevator up/down until you've done the calibration procedure?

If not, I'll install it on the left side instead (factory rivet heads).

If it does, I'll have to remove the bell crank, drill a new hole in it and reverse it.

Finn

Installing a Dynon SV-32 elevator servo in my RV-4.

I have a clearance problem at the AN3H-4A bolt head and the shop head rivets in the bell crank if I install it on the left side of the airplane, as shown on the install drawing. (The bolt installs on the inside of mounting angle and has star washer and AN960-10 washer under its head, which adds up close to 1/4".)

Does the servo care which way it is installed?

In other words, does it know how fore/aft movement of its arm translates to elevator up/down until you've done the calibration procedure?

If not, I'll install it on the left side instead (factory rivet heads).

If it does, I'll have to remove the bell crank, drill a new hole in it and reverse it.

Finn

The servo does not care about it's orientation, like you mention, it learns everything it needs to know during the calibration procedure. The only real critical thing here is to make sure it can't go over center and lock the flight controls

The servo does not care about it's orientation, like you mention, it learns everything it needs to know during the calibration procedure. The only real critical thing here is to make sure it can't go over center and lock the flight controls

Thank you Don.

With the 2" spaced hole in the bell crank it definitely does not go over center when moving to elevator stops. One could be tempted to make it less than 2" to allow for a bit more arm movement. But if step resolution is small enough for it to not keep hunting in flight at high cruise speed, no reason to.

Finn

Back