What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mazda Rotary Engine

Hank Bauer

I'm New Here
I recently acquired a partially completed RV 9A. It came with a Mazda 13 rotary engine, disassembled, Engine mount for 9A and prop reduction gear. I will not be using this power plant. So.... Any demand or Value?

Which prop reduction gear?

I paid $3,000 for an almost new Real World Solutions (RWS) RD-1C. (2:85:1)

As for the engine, depends on history. If all new parts, could be worth something.

Finn

It must be a 13B. I used to have one in my Toyota street racer. Can't get anything close to the power for the size but it's a gas guzzler for sure.

I don't understand it but it's pretty obvious that Experimental to some people means just the plane because if it doesn't have a Lyco or Conti then the value drops real fast.

I'm hoping to build another plane and the powerplant will either be a 13B or a Yamaha snowmobile engine. The advantage of the Yamaha over the Rotary are parts and people who know how to fix them.

I spent thousands having Bruce Turrentine build my Renesis from a brand new engine for my Cozy MKIV. I finally saw the light and abandoned that idea when it was evident Tracy Crook was getting out of the business. I had not purchased the gear drive yet, (thankfully), and I found a buyer and sold the built engine for under $1000. Penny wise,,,dollar foolish, but I learned my lesson before I threw more money at it. That was about 13 years ago. The demand for your engine & PSRU will only be those who are trying to salvage what they have already Rotary wise. Since RWS closed shop, the market dropped off dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back