What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip landing lights wiring

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hello and best wishes to everyone, hope everyone is well!!

I am now wiring the wingtip landing lights (Aeroleds Aerosun VX in my case) and wanted to ask what is your opinion on wiring?

As ~6A are running through the wires, is it advisable to wire in a shielded cable?
They suggested I would connect the GND to the shield of the cable.
But that would actually make the shield run 6A back to Fuse. which will be as it was a regular wire, which will radiate. so why bother shielding?

How did you wire your wingtip lights?

Appreciate your suggestions,
Oren

In theory there is no radiation, since the center conductor and shield will have equal but opposite currents. The radiated fields cancel each other. You can get nearly as good cancelation by just using two wires, and twisting them together. For this to work, all the return current must flow thru the shield (or second wire). There cannot be any accidental grounds out in the wingtip. You might also note that this is basically a dc circuit, so there should be no RF to shield. However, many LED circuits use a pulse generator to keep from overloading/overheating the LEDs. A good circuit will filter/suppress any RF from propagating back the supply lines, but without testing you cannot be sure. Personally I have tried to maintain a single point ground, so I?d use a twisted pair, bringing back the return to my single ground buss. Ymmv.

I have VXs on my plane. I used shielded wiring just for the ease of running everything together. I did as you said grounded the shielding back to my ground block.

Good and bad news, good news is I don't have any noise on my dual plugs, bad news is I have alternator and light noise on my LEMO plugs. That's more probably to do with the way I did those connections though than with the way I ran my lights. I'll re do the grounds and troubleshoot at some point.

They don't call for shielded wire on any of their landing lights, I've installed quite a few and I personally run their standard landing light with no noise, also I've never had a complaint of noise in an installation.
If you want to run it for convenience that's fine but I don't think it nec.

Thanks Walt,
"
We do recommend using 3 conductor shielded wire for the Pulsar NS and AeroSun Vx lights. You will want to twist the shield and utilize it as a wire. Connect your light ground (black wire) to the shield and single point ground the light back at the main ground buss."

This is their advise I got over the email.

I didn't understand this suggestion. After 5 emails they suggested its not necessary.
At this point I decided to consult with you guys.

Thank you!
Will run it without shield.

Thanks
Oren

I think they also recommend a case ground locally at the wingtip for the Pulsars. I?m not sure about the VX Suns though.

Back