What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Aft canopy seal

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I found some old posts that described different methods for sealing the aft part of slider canopy against the fuselage in the closed position in flight. A lot of the pictures were the side by side 6s and 7s but no good solution evident for the -8. I do have a gap at the aft end with the canopy closed and would appreciate any pictures and parts needed for the -8 slider canopy. The original builder has some hardware type weatherstripping stuck to the bottom of the aft canopy skirt but it is much too thin to cover the gap. The -8 lived its past life in Texas so probably wasn't a big deal.

Never noticed it until I started flying in the colder weather here in Missouri. It’s not particularly bad for me up front if I turn up my jacket collar. Afraid it might be a bit brisk for anyone in the back seat in the winter. My heater works very well though.

If anyone has some solutions please post descriptions and pictures here or PM/e-mail me directly.

Thanks

Last edited:
The simple way it to add a 1? wide strip of the felt side of Velcro on the inside of the canopy skirt at the bottom.

Carl

Here's an interesting solution from a while back that I have bookmarked: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=75144

Basically he used a bicycle pump and a small fabric-wrapped inner tube to create an inflatable canopy seal. Unfortunately the photos are gone like in many old threads, so you have to use your imagination a bit.

Hey neighbor, your signature says you're building a RV-8 fuselage. It caught my eye because I just found out about an issue I don't know if you're aware of. Mine is not a QB fuse either yet I got bit by this. Here's the thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=145000&page=7

I found some old posts that described different methods for sealing the aft part of slider canopy against the fuselage in the closed position in flight. A lot of the pictures were the side by side 6s and 7s but no good solution evident for the -8. I do have a gap at the aft end with the canopy closed and would appreciate any pictures and parts needed for the -8 slider canopy. The original builder has some hardware type weatherstripping stuck to the bottom of the aft canopy skirt but it is much too thin to cover the gap. The -8 lived its past life in Texas so probably wasn't a big deal.

Never noticed it until I started flying in the colder weather here in Missouri. It?s not particularly bad for me up front if I turn up my jacket collar. Afraid it might be a bit brisk for anyone in the back seat in the winter. My heater works very well though.

If anyone has some solutions please post descriptions and pictures here or PM/e-mail me directly.

Thanks

Tried and purchased lots of sealing products and even considered the bike pump method with an inflatable seal that is detailed on this site, but the seal in the link below works like an absolute champ. Open your canopy, cut to length and put it on. 20 minutes and your GIB will be very, very happy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733TDRLB/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1C7VLGMJJ2DVA&th=1

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I need to get some of the D seal ordered. Another buddy recommended checking for a gap with canopy closed on the ground and adjust rear stop/drop block for tight fairing fit to deck. I never even thought of this, might be worth a look.

+1 for the loop or soft side of velcro strip. Works well on my RV8. Also minimizes abrasion of the fuselage paint by the canopy skirt

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I need to get some of the D seal ordered. Another buddy recommended checking for a gap with canopy closed on the ground and adjust rear stop/drop block for tight fairing fit to deck. I never even thought of this, might be worth a look.

Yes, I'd say get some D seal and give it a try. The reason the material that I pointed you to works so well is that it will accommodate a gap from about .125in up to .6in and everything in between. This way you don't have to put the material right on the edge of your canopy skirt and will accommodate all the variation. I cut one piece for each side and followed the shape of the skirt about and inch from the skirt edge and then cut a small piece to cover the center section over the rear track.

Leaks

I have the same problem with my 8 but most of the air come in the front of the canopy where it meet the windshield. Does anyone have anyone have a solution for that?

Back