What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Simulation Released for X-Plane 11

Well Known Member
Just got this in my inbox:

https://store.x-plane.org/VANS-RV-10_p_1156.html

✈ VAN's RV-10
The RV-10 is the release of the year so far. Newest plane by Digital Replica, it is highly detailed in and out. It features an outstanding 3D model and a comprehensive simulation of the aircraft. It comes with nice menus and an easy updater.

The RV10 is a four seat, single engine, low wing home-built airplane. The designer was focused on a touring aircraft with good stability and payload. The aircraft may be powered by a 210 to 260hp engine, being the Lycoming IO-540 the most frequent choice for home builders. The aircraft is constructed of aluminum with the cabin structure and gull-winged doors made from composite materials. The landing gear is tubular steel with the nose-wheel mounting tube welded to the engine mount. As in all nose-wheel equipped RV aircraft, the nose-wheel is free castering and the aircraft is steered with differential braking.

This X-Plane aircraft is as detailed as it gets, yet at a very affordable cost.

Different Cockpit configuration from steam gauges to glass cockpit:

G5 PFD and HSI with GFC600 Digital Autopilot with GNS430 and GNS430
ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection System)
LVL (Return to level) Mode
Auto trim
Different speed and altitude units options
CWS (Control wheel steering) mode
GA (Go Around) mode.
AP disconnect button
Flight Director
Yaw Damper
Pitch and Roll hold mode
Heading Mode
NAV Mode with Radio-navigation or GPS inputs
Approach Mode
Back Course Mode
Indicated Airspeed Reference Mode
Altitude Hold Mode
Working Battery behavior for the G5 HSI and PFD

KC150 Autopilot with KI256 Flight Command unit, KI525A HSI and KX155 COM/NAV Radios

Flight Director
Auto trim
Altitude Hold mode
Attitude pith and roll hold mode
Heading mode
NAV Mode
Approach mode
Back Course mode

Digital engine management unit EDM or analog gauges

Engine monitor display
Range/Endurance/Burned Fuel/Miles per Gallon/Etc.
Lean Find Mode

Throttle quadrant or push-pull engine command options

EDS Digital Controlled oxygen System

Four distribution stations
Night/Normal mode
Delayed mode
Class-A/Fast Mask mode
Different display and setting configurations

Working Circuit Breakers panel

Angle of attack indicator with voice warning

Different engine and propeller configurations:

Lycoming IO540 Fuel Injected 260HP engine
Lycoming O540 235HP Carbureted Engine
3 Blade Composite Propeller
3 Blade Aluminum Propeller
2 Blade Aluminum Propeller

Each of the option with their own performance and fuel consumption characteristics

Outstanding 3D model

High 4K PBR textures
Librain rain effect by skiselkov
5 liveries and one white canvas livery for custom creations
3D cockpit light for the interior and the exterior
Custom instruments and surface vibrations
Particles Effects

Three dimensional Sound

Fmod sound engine
All Custom Sounds
Sound level and frequencies are modified by headset removal or doors configurations.

Custom Menus and Popups

Aircraft Configuration
Load Chart with CG envelope, fuel and passengers configurations
Checklist
GFC600 Autopilot Popup
EDM Popup
Updater Popup

That first picture looks almost exactly like my paint scheme. Colors and everything. I thought I was unique. Guess not.

FirstFlight02.jpg

Are you able to swap out the Navigators? I'd love to see this with an IFD-540

john

Usually your stuck with what it comes with on these games. In another Sim game I used to Frankenstein panels together using different plane packages with a little bit of coding but rarely did the 3D panels look good.

Are you able to swap out the Navigators? I'd love to see this with an IFD-540

john

There are a couple of vendors that sell plugins for X-Plane with different navigators/avionics, but I am not sure if anyone has modeled the logic or the look of the IFD series yet. As was previously mentioned, it sometimes takes some editing with 3D model software like Blender to get it to look right, but many X-Plane models are editiable/not locked by the vendor. Not sure about this one in particular, it might be fruitful to send a question to the authors.

WHICH SIMULATOR?

Been thinking about a flight simulator for my PC and the X-Plane RV-10 caught my eye. I'm almost complete with a RV-14A and I figure the flight characteristics of the RV-10 are at least similar to the 14.

However, I'm like a blind dog in a meat house when it comes to simulator selection. The X-Plane 11 looks good but I would like some opinions from you guys before I sink a bunch of bucks in software, joystick, rudder pedals, etc.

Comments are appreciated. Don't worry about offending me I'm too dumb to know the difference! :D

Joe - Longview, Texas

RV-14A 90% complete with 90% to go Installing the wings next week.

RV-3 ? sold

Arion Lightning LS1 - Flying routinely

2020 Dues Paid

I picked up the RV-10 model, it's pretty well done. I used to do a lot of flight sims so I guess this is getting me back into it ;-)

It would be nice to be able to configure some different panels. But I don't believe there is a G3X or HDX available for X-Plane or even the IFD series of navigators. So you'd be modelling ALL of those screens...I'm not sure what that would even take...but it sounds like a mountain to climb. I'd much rather spend the time building my ACTUAL RV-10!

Jared

There's no G3X setups, however I like to fake fly the Velocity Twin by Aerobask. They have a dual panel Dynon set up with a GTN 650 which is really close to my plane. I used it extensively getting used to managing IFR flights on glass.

I picked up the RV-10 model, it's pretty well done. I used to do a lot of flight sims so I guess this is getting me back into it ;-)

It would be nice to be able to configure some different panels. But I don't believe there is a G3X or HDX available for X-Plane or even the IFD series of navigators. So you'd be modelling ALL of those screens...I'm not sure what that would even take...but it sounds like a mountain to climb. I'd much rather spend the time building my ACTUAL RV-10!

Jared

I also bought this last night and have flown it a few times around the pattern. I am building an RV-10 but haven't flown one yet. The roll rate in the simulation seems pretty high, and the sim is very stable in roll. Any idea if that is a realistic representation of the real thing? I flew it in a zero wind situation, so maybe it was just the very calm "air" in the sim that made it seem exceptionally stable and crisp.

I also bought this last night and have flown it a few times around the pattern. I am building an RV-10 but haven't flown one yet. The roll rate in the simulation seems pretty high, and the sim is very stable in roll. Any idea if that is a realistic representation of the real thing? I flew it in a zero wind situation, so maybe it was just the very calm "air" in the sim that made it seem exceptionally stable and crisp.

I got the sim, too, and have been in contact with the developer. The roll rate is much higher than the real thing and the pitch up in the sim when the flaps are deployed is also much higher than the real thing. I didn't notice anything too off about the stability. Also the sim accelerates on takeoff VERY slowly compared to the real thing.

Back