What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPU Connection

Ejinthex

I'm New Here
New to VAF... What a resource!
Was considering the option of a GPU receptacle for my RV8 for database updating and dead battery contingencies. I prefer to have it aft of wing for safety.
Standard GPU plug? Some type of external jumper cable connection? Was planning on mounting the battery in aft cone.

EJ, I will let Mike "officially" welcome you but welcome :D .
In regards to a GPU receptacle I've seen several options on the forums from the old Cessna type plug that is very heavy duty, to simply putting a set of female banana plugs on a small of L bracket and just using an inexpensive power supply to supply power to your ship. There are advantages and disadvantage of both. The heavy duty plus are more robust, maybe harder to permanently mount for non-builders who don't have building tools and the GPU is more expensive to buy just to plug in for database updates but if you go to an airport and have a dead battery, most likely one of their tugs will have a built-in GPU. If you go to the opposite end of just mount a set of female banana plugs then you can use a fairly inexpensive power supply bought from either eBay acquire from an old server that gives you constant voltage and amps. This in my opinion is better for keeping your EFIS on for a long time and doing database updates, code updates, or just learning a new system. But when it comes to utilizing it for a dead battery then you may have to carry a portable/compact battery jump starter that are becoming popular these days. This would be a bit simpler to install, much less expensive but it comes with some disadvantages... for example it is not very heavy duty or the battery jump starter may be sat in your plane too long and it is not charged. I'm sure others will have pros & Cons but you really do have a wide spectrum of choices.

Thanks, Amir.
I did see a RV with the standard GPU plug receptacle. Looked heavy and awkward to use. Always looking for different perspectives.

I have a big 'ol Piper style plug on the bottom of the current -9, with it's own contactor on the firewall and breaker... It has been used once in 13yrs. I'm not doing it again in the current project.

I have a big 'ol Piper style plug on the bottom of the current -9, with it's own contactor on the firewall and breaker... It has been used once in 13yrs. I'm not doing it again in the current project.

I to have the old round Piper receptacle in the side of my 8 aft of the wing, a little on the heavy side but 'tank' like in operation, bulletbproof -)

I bought one of these and decided not to install for the reason above. used this bulkhead plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q41U5XG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with it's compatible charger https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to plug into my Odyssey battery. figured if I have a dead battery, I will just have to plug in and wait a while before I can fly again. in 12 years, I have accidentally left the master on only once or twice.

Back