What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone Harness management

AviatorJ

Well Known Member

Above is a picture of my Magnometer mount and how I previously was holding the harness away from the elevator rod. The CAN length limitation on the harness as well as the Magnometer placement makes it an impossibility to run the cabling along the side in the usual manner.

The problem with the above is after 100 hours one of the pins on the connector pulled back about 3 mm giving me intermittent errors and eventually complete failure of the CAN bus. I think it was a combination of the constant vibrating tension, and that my mount wasn't as secure to the longerons as it should be.

I've now secured the mount so it's not going to vibrate and I'm looking for cable management ideas. My first thought is not to re-cable tie like it is in the picture. The harness has a sleeve and even if it touches the push rod I don't see it 'catching' on anything. What about spiral cable wrap, would that further protect the harness and maybe give it more rigidity?

It’s hard to tell from the pic but an adel on the mag mount bracket would take the strain off if you have the length for it assuming that little bit of steel didn’t affect it. Al angle with a tie wrap if an adel isn’t wanted.

Back