What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 vs RV-10 Empennage similarities

tcbetka

I was having a discussion with a friend earlier today, about the similarities between the RV-10 and RV-14/A empennage kits. I thought I read somewhere that the two are very similar, but now I can't seem to find a thread in the forum that mentions it.

Does anyone recall seeing such a discussion--or does anyone just know how similar the tail kits for these two models are?

Thanks.

TB

I don't think there's a great similarity in the empennages. The RV-10 has a different rudder, different design for elevator trim tabs (tabs on both elevators in RV-10, only the left on RV-14), and the fuselage is wider on RV-10 so the shape of the tailcone is different. I believe the overall tail width is wider on RV-10 as well.

The main similarities between RV-10 and RV-14 are the nose gear (14A only) and the wing - same wing except for length and fuel capacity.

That makes sense. I (we) figured there was a difference, but wasn't sure about the span of the horizontal stabilizer and elevators...in terms of increased surface area. It stands to reason that the heavier RV-10 would likely need more tail-down force, but since the tail is likely to be farther aft on the RV-10, it might not take much more surface area to give more tail-down force. But I can't find any such dimensions on the Van's site, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for the post.

TB

RV-10 is a straight taper...

You mean more than just their sizes? How are they different?

TB

... similar to the rudder, whereas the RV-14 elevators have a reverse wedge so the trailing edge flares to about a quarter inch thickness.

Back