What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Specific Flight Simulator

RV Specific Flight Sim

• Yes I'm interested - Software Only

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Yes I'm interested - Software & Hardware

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters

azflyer21

Well Known Member
Please answer this poll:
I'm gauging the interest in the community to have flight simulator software that is Van's RV specific for the X-Plane platform.

The only use I see for flight sim is for instrument practice. Since RVs all have different panels, it would have to be user-configurable to match their specific panel equipment and layout.

Please answer this poll:
I'm gauging the interest in the community to have flight simulator software that is Van's RV specific for the X-Plane platform.

The only issue is non standardized cockpit. With that said yes a model (rv6/7 or rv4/8) that has performance, handling of an RV would be cool.

My interest is teaching. Not up on latest PC flight software.

Sky view EFIS sim

Rv12
Skyview

Just a good Skyview Efis sim would be great.

Think flight schools.

Hmmm...ya know, at the RV-12 Expo a few years back the Dynon folks used a Skyview sim of some sort to demo their system and features. Seems like it would be a relatively short leap to make such a thing available? I?d spend a few bucks for the ability to practice at home! Put the Dynon on one screen and Flight Sim on the other.
I?m sure that the usual rule holds...if I?ve thought of it someone else is already making money with it. 🤨

I’d love an RV-10 sim with a user configurable panel (with popular EFIS’s and steam) where you could pop out avionics (like a GTN 650/750) to a second monitor so they could be zoomed to full size to make using it realistic for IFR work.

Last edited:
I loved the Bay Tower stuff for FSX. Would really be interested in 7 Tail Wheel for X-Plane. Fun to fly something while building.

X-Plane 10 Extra Aircraft Folder

Hello,

Already done for X-plane 10. Here is a photo of my X-plane 10 Extra Aircraft Folder.

The "what are these" file explains why they are "gray" in color. As you read the file it explains how to modify/personalize the specific model or models to your preferences.

Austin also explains why he is giving the file to RV owner/pilots. Great person and offers a fantastic simulator. Still on X-Plane 10.

X-Plane-RV-s.jpg

I've flown the RV-6, just did it for a short hop, but seems real enough from a chair.

My favorite to fly is a B-1 Bomber that has been "hot rodded". I added a few enhancements that allow hypersonic flight at 125,000 alt. I know that the plane physics would not survive, but it is fun to fly at that altitude. Getting there is half the battle, climb to fast above 90,000 and things happen that can cause the bomber to flip end over end...Once there you basically fly with the trim, the JATO gets you there and then once it quits you coast with a 1000fpm descent, 30-minutes from Alaska to New Zealand.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Since you asked . . . . .

RV-7 with Skyview and Avidyne IFD-440 for instrument practice. Ah we can dream can't we?

Hello,

Already done for X-plane 10. Here is a photo of my X-plane 10 Extra Aircraft Folder.

Maybe some are most polished than others. I loaded up the RV-10 one a few years ago and it was just a 3D model. I didn't want to mess with building a panel, skinning and modifying flight dynamics.

I love playing flying video games, I might be in the minority but I personally thing there is little realistic in terms of stick and rudder with them. At least on Xplane 11 the tailwheel flying is fairly comical.

That said I use the Aerobask Velocity Twin with a dual panel Dynon set up as a procedural trainer. It's similar enough to my G3X panel to make it useful.

Maybe some are most polished than others. I loaded up the RV-10 one a few years ago and it was just a 3D model. I didn't want to mess with building a panel, skinning and modifying flight dynamics.

I love playing flying video games, I might be in the minority but I personally thing there is little realistic in terms of stick and rudder with them. At least on Xplane 11 the tailwheel flying is fairly comical.

That said I use the Aerobask Velocity Twin with a dual panel Dynon set up as a procedural trainer. It's similar enough to my G3X panel to make it useful.

You are correct, 3D gray models only. The File "What are these" included from Austin has a little spiel on how to modify for what you want.

Not sure if he is thinking RV builders will want to modify to their RV or if he just wants more customers to learn to modify and create their own planes. Very interesting that he chose the RV for this idea.

One thing once you know how to "paint" them, you could try different ideas and then go fly it to see what it looks like in the air....360 degree viewing.

Agree about the controls not being to realistic. Have a CHP Yoke and rudders for mine. The spring loaded just doesn't feel right.

When in the military many years ago used to go to Hawaii 4-times a year to fly the Huey simulators there. They actually lifted up on hydraulics to give wind, climb/dive, turn, and turbulence like sensations, better, but still not the real thing. Flew them for instrument training, and emergency operations. They worked great for that.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Back