What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexiglass protection during construction

Comes in gallon cans. I got mine from General Chemical Corp. $48.25/gal, but the shipping was about $24 for US delivery. A gallon is plenty!

I used half of the quart bottle from ACS for my RV-4 canopy, inside and outside, petty thick layers.

I would think that a quart would be enough for an RV-7.

Finn

SPRAYLAT SIGN STRIP

Several makers of this stuff; the age-old sign version for spraying plexi signs is now owned by PPG, still called Spraylat. Not a lot cheaper than the products mentioned here.
NOTE: do NOT let this stuff 'dry out' in direct sunlight or a hot shop. If somehow it ends up on there for years, it will be very hard to remove.
I don't think there is such a thing as 'too thick'. It makes it much easier to peel.
If yours ages and becomes brittle, roll on another coat; this will moisten the old layer, and give you more to hang onto when peeling.
happy canopy'ing!

Discoat 4220 Question

Does this material resist both Acetone and West 105 ?. Sounds like useful stuff, I just want to understand any limitations, thanks.

Just bought disccoat 4220... haven't applied it yet as I'm preparing for my daughter's wedding. Weighing spraying vs. brushing on. I'm looking forward to more posts on this.

Shelf Life

Keep in mind the his stuff has a shelf life and goes bad in time.

I bought it when I was building and never used it. Sold it to Vic Syracuse on here and when he received notified me it had gone bad. Was no longer usable at all!

My Lancair canopy came with Spraylat already on it. It was good stuff but, when painting, you would be wise to cover it with a secondary barrier just to be sure. Mine had a couple of "thin places" that allowed some paint on the canopy. It peeled off easily when the time came.

Brushed it on

I didn't read the original post well.

I brushed it on with an old paint brush. I'm sure a small paint roller would work as well.

You're not looking for a perfect coat. Just slather it on.

In fact, looking at the post regarding limited life, I'd cover outside and inside. Then cover it again and again until you've used it all. I expect that extra thickness will make it easier to grab and peel off.

Finn

Peel Tek

From DIYer's Home Handyman Magazine. Comes in 4 oz cans, quarts or gallons.

I bought the 4 oz size ($14.95 + tax + shipping) for testing on my canopy install.

David

Back