What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Securing the oil door in the wind

SmilingJack

Well Known Member
So I had a little time in Texas this weekend and found an Antique airshow in Gainsville,TX.

I came across an RV with this nice little tip to cool off the engine, whilst securing the oil door in the wind.

I already gave too much info for this guess...

But does anyone know who the "smart" RV'er is? :D

I've seen other RV'ers with the oil door open at fly-ins and I've always wondered, is there that much heat on the backside of the baffles and engine? I ask because I don't know.

I stopped by the antique fly in on sat for a quick burger and a look around.
That oil door sure looks familiar :D

Last edited:
I've seen other RV'ers with the oil door open at fly-ins and I've always wondered, is there that much heat on the backside of the baffles and engine? I ask because I don't know.

My oil door is spring loaded. I will often times pop it open when I am parked into the wind on a hot day. Probably doesn't help anything but the hot air that comes flowing out of there is remarkable!

;) CJ

Yep, the spring-loaded Hidden Hinge is a nice heat exit and it is nearly impossible to take off with the door unlatched because it will be standing at attention. :)

hinge-3.jpg

A little blurb.

Cleaveland Tools now sells the Hidden Hinge.

See RV-12 assembly instructions page 38-09 Step 1.
"Tighten the nuts until the door will stay open on its own."
However, I guess this is not an RV-12!

Last edited:
Hmm... I'm wondering where you store that extra piece of metal so it doesn't get lost between fly-ins...

I never open mine even when just stopping a few min. and then leave again. Some people think it helps with vapor lock issues resulting in hard hot starts. I have a technique that works for me then I don't need to fiddle with the oil door.

I don't know either. I would categorize this as "can't hurt". My hot start procedures have never failed me, so I wouldn't see any value in doing this myself. It is quite amazing how much heat escapes out of there when you open it up though. It might make a difference for some set ups.

Back