What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose ear cushion quality?

DaleB

Well Known Member
For you Bose users... how have you found the quality of the ear cushions? I got a pair of A20s with the plane I bought. I bought new ear cushions, brand new from Bose. Since I normally don't fly with these, they went into the zipper case in the hangar for a few months. A couple of weeks ago I pulled them out for passengers to use, and found one cushion completely split open and the other with a couple of spots that look like it's about to fall apart. Never seen anything this bad, and they've never even been used!

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm going to contact Bose and ask for replacements, I have to think these were defective.

Mine lasted about 4 years. But I milked them to the 4th year as they too were split.

When I spoke to them at Sun-n-fun the bose person told me they should be replaced every year :eek:

I told him they better work on making them better as 12 months is awful short :mad:

one comparison....

so my 10-year old Flightcom gel ear pads, frozen and cooked in the plane, still like new....not exactly babied either.
hmmmmmmm, I guess I should have replaced them every year, which would have added up to about $700.

silly me!:rolleyes:

Yeah, yearly replacement would be too often, but six months of STORAGE is a little ridiculous.

I had some aftermarket gel ear pads on my old David Clarks that probably would have eoutlived me. I normally just fly with my Halos, so the Bose headset doesn't get much use. Even less if it's unusable every time I pull it out of the case!

The Lightspeeds are the same way. When they start to deteriorate they start leaving black stuff on your face and finally they split. The foam still is good, but the covering goes bad. They recommend new ear seals every 6-12 months I think. That might be the cost of comfort. The listed ear seals only cost about $18-19, so it's not a big expense, but it is a pain. I am wondering if anybody has found and aftermarket ear seal for the lightspeeds that may not be quite as comfortable, but last longer. I have seen aftermarket ear seals (or ear seal covers) for the Bose, but don't know where they came from.

I have an A-20 set in my plane and I get way better than 6 months with my headset ear seals. I can't remember when I changed them last but it's been a while.

-Marc

For you Bose users... how have you found the quality of the ear cushions? I got a pair of A20s with the plane I bought. I bought new ear cushions, brand new from Bose. Since I normally don't fly with these, they went into the zipper case in the hangar for a few months. A couple of weeks ago I pulled them out for passengers to use, and found one cushion completely split open and the other with a couple of spots that look like it's about to fall apart. Never seen anything this bad, and they've never even been used!

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm going to contact Bose and ask for replacements, I have to think these were defective.

A20 ear cushions are much better quality then X. I am still on the first set (2.5 years 1K+ hours) but about to send them for warranty service. Love them.

4 years, 400+ hours, like new for both sets BUT we never leave tem in the plane. They're always stored in the cases and, when away from the hangar, go with us.

Free at OSH

Mine typically last 3-4 years.
At OSH and SNF in past years they have given free replacements.
Don't know if they still do that.

Scott A Jordan

Bought our A20's at AirVenture 2011 and they are just now starting to
deteriorate. Will be replacing the ear cushions here shortly.

I was shocked when I read this----a year???. I've got 10's. I've had them for some 9 years now. But I always bring them home after flying, and put them over the top of my office door, where they always have air conditioning in summer or heat in the winter. Maybe I'm lucky, because they always "breathe"

Back