What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pressure recovery canopy for the RV-4

riobison

Well Known Member
We have pressure recovery wheel pants.

So why not a pressure recovery canopy for the RV4? From what I have read and seen the RV8 canopy is relatively clean compare to the canopy on the RV4.

At the moment the only alternatives for us 4's are to go with a Fast Back and that is out for most of us due to the commitment.

Tim

There are 2 ways of doing it - first, find a guy who does that sort of thing with computational methods and buy him lots of pizza, or 2nd, start sticking glass fairings on the aft part of a canopy with tufts to see if you can eliminate any separation. Either approach is a lot of work, but doable.

So what are you waiting for? :D

There are 2 ways of doing it - first, find a guy who does that sort of thing with computational methods and buy him lots of pizza, or 2nd, start sticking glass fairings on the aft part of a canopy with tufts to see if you can eliminate any separation. Either approach is a lot of work, but doable.

So what are you waiting for? :D

Good question,

fastback

I built my RV-4 fastback for this reason, I can't say if its truly faster though, but it should be. Dave Anders has some numbers on it. This is from memory... but it gained a few knots. I built mine to sip gas, 160hp matched injection, at 8k WOT & LOP - 5.5gph 135KTAS

This is helpful for you as you are attempting to do much the same.

Back