What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is Bob Archer still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to install one of Bob's nav antennas in my wingtip and wanted to talk to him prior to ordering. But I haven't received any response from him to my email and no answer when I try calling him over the past several days. So just trying to find out if he's still in the antenna business and if there is a better way to reach him?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Steve (RV-6A completed in 2000)

I was also in the market for one of his antennas last year. It took me about 3 months, but I finally managed to get one. I also was unable to contact him via phone or e-mail. I ordered an antenna off of Aircraft Spruce but they cancelled the order and told me that the antennas were "no longer being manufactured". On a hunch, I tried ordering the antenna from Chief Aircraft - http://www.chiefaircraft.com/sa-001.html and actually did end up getting it (after about a month). My only guess is that perhaps Bob has changed his contact info and only gave some suppliers the updated info. Don't know though.

Thanks...

Thanks... I wanted to ask a few questions before ordering, but after hearing that you weren't able to get ahold of Bob either, I decided to just go ahead and order an antenna.

Maybe Bob has turned over the business to someone else by now.

Either way, I'm looking forward to a vast improvement in my VOR after installing the Sportcraft antenna... I'm sure I'm not being too optimistic, since I've just had the copper strip antenna from Vans glued inside my wingtip for the last 14 years! ;-)
Steve

UPDATE ON JAN 23, 2015: I ordered the antenna from Aircraft Spruce yesterday and got an email today saying that they had shipped it. So I guess they must have restocked or something. I wanted an antenna to put into the bottom of my right wingtip, so I ordered Aircraft Spruce PN: 11-21015-2 WING TIP VOR ANT RT MODEL 1. (There are a lot of Archer antennas listed... VOR, Comm, left side, right side, wide/narrow,...) But near as I can tell, that's the correct one for putting into a right side wingtip on the bottom surface (or, for putting into a left wingtip on the upper surface!).
Thanks to everyone for your comments (both public and private). This was the first time I've logged in and used this website... lots of really great info out here... I could feel the camaraderie and it revived my somewhat dormant "RV Spirit!"... which had taken a back seat a decade or so ago due to the normal distractions in life (getting married, buying a house, and having kids!). ;-)

Last edited:
Those antennas are still readily available, we keep the VOR's in stock. That said (and I'm not speaking for Archer), but I know he had some rather significant health issues and his son has been working his behind off keeping things going. If you want an antenna quickly, give me a shout. As far as talking to Bob directly, I can't say if that's a reality at this point or not.

Cheers,
Stein

I talked with Bob some few months ago and he was helpful, as usual. I installed both his VOR and his comm antenna in separate wingtips and should be flying in a week or two. I can run some additional tests, although there has been much written. On the ground the performance is pretty much as advertised.

Bob Archer

Hi All,
I learned of this forum from Aircraft Spruce.
My name is Lee Archer, Bobs son. My dad has been suffering from a long
illness. He is currently in hospis care at a board and care home. He is dying.
No longer able to walk, or speak, or feed or bath himself.
This really sucks.
Last year around June I took over the part of Sportcraft antennas that my dad could no longer handle. There is no longer any chance to pick his mind for
info on antenna design, installitons, performance ETC.
My background is manufacturing, not antenna design. I would be glad to answer any questions that I can, but I am not the antenna guru that my dad was.
Me and my mom are planning to keep the company as is, she owns it,
and I have been building and shipping antennas ETC.

Thanks Lee Archer

Welcome to the forum, Lee, and thanks for posting.

So sorry to hear of your dad's failing health. There are lots of us flying with his designs.

Lee, thank you for taking the time to post here.

Very sorry to hear of your Dads failing health, I went through this a couple of years ago with my Dad and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.

Prayers to you, your Dad and your Mom as well.

Hi All,
I learned of this forum from Aircraft Spruce.
My name is Lee Archer, Bobs son. My dad has been suffering from a long
illness. He is currently in hospis care at a board and care home. He is dying.
No longer able to walk, or speak, or feed or bath himself.
This really sucks.
Last year around June I took over the part of Sportcraft antennas that my dad could no longer handle. There is no longer any chance to pick his mind for
info on antenna design, installitons, performance ETC.
My background is manufacturing, not antenna design. I would be glad to answer any questions that I can, but I am not the antenna guru that my dad was.
Me and my mom are planning to keep the company as is, she owns it,
and I have been building and shipping antennas ETC.

Thanks Lee Archer

Very sorry to hear that.

I wish you and your family peace in this trying time.

Lee,

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad's condition, but eventually it will happen to us all. Please remind him if you can that he has the respect and admiration of builders and pilots everywhere, and that we thank him for his contribution to the art.

Prayers to you and your family.

Here Here

I am forever reminded of those that came before to extend our dreams in this forum and the expertise they gladly shared.

In any decision/process/product there is years of understanding and the collective knowledge which we are the beneficiaries is humbling.

Thanks Bob. And as stated above please, Lee, forward on our gratitude.

Lee,
That certainly isn't good news. I hope you'll let Bob know he's in our thoughts and prayers, and we're praying for you and your family too. Thanks for being there for your Dad. There's a whole lot of him and his talent flying in our aircraft.

Warmest regards...the prayer light is switched on, bright-flash.

Lee,
So sorry to hear this. I was lucky enough to speak to Bob while installing one of his antennas in my plane, He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Andy

+1

Lee,

I spent about an hour on the phone with your dad quite a while back, talking about antennas, with me asking him a bunch of silly questions. He was exceedingly patient and kind to me. He told me some stories about his past, his love for aviation and, of course, telemetry. What a neat guy your dad is. I wish him, you and the rest of your family well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back