What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antisplat air-oil separator placement

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Engine not hung yet. I would like to drill the holes in the firewall for the AOS before engine installation. Please help with advice/photos of where on the firewall to install so that it will not interfere with engine and other stuff at later stage.
Thanks.
Johan

Methodology rather than where to put it...

When I built my -8 I was in a real quandary as to where to put things so as not to interfere with other "stuff" like engine mounts, oil filter, mags and other things to come later.

Once I had my engine, it made it a lot easier to visualize where the "spaces" were. I temporarily mounted the engine mount onto the firewall, then would move in the engine on the engine hoist to try and determine where the "fixed" items would go, thus identifying the "spaces" that could be used for stuff that was less critical.

Once I had finalized locations, I mounted the engine mount to the engine, but kept it on the hoist to move it in from time to time to confirm clearances while I worked on wiring, plumbing etc...

By the way, my air-oil separator is mounted on the upper right of the firewall but it is homebuilt rather than ASA... This may or may not work for a -10...

Sorry, I tried to post a couple of pictures but unfortunately Photoshop seems to have a glitch today and I can't seem to pick up a copy... I'll try later...

Good plan Dorfie, much easier to drill and install a couple of nut plates as long as you have easy access.
I have installed a whole bunch of nutplates on the backside of the firewall to accommodate the unforeseen need.
For more precise reference to placement, the outlet hose is just an inch or so to the right of the recess and the can is mounted as high as possible.
Remember to install e secondary relieve valve. I am sure you have followed the threads dealing with plugged up breather stubs in the exhaust pipe leading to a pressurized crankcase and a blown prop seal with total loss of oil.
Check with Antisplat, I think they may have a fix by now.
FWIW, I love the separator and the very dry and clean belly of my RV-10.

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

Secondary valve installed a year after initial installation.

IMG_1328.JPG

Make sure you install a doubler plate. It will sure flex quite a lot without. Mine is where Ernst has installed his, just to the inside of the brake reservoir.

Thanks to all

I drilled the holes today!! Put it high on the firewall and just inside of the brake reservoir. Did all of you install a doubler?
Thanks again.
Johan

Install your Nut plates on an aluminum doubler and use it like a very large washer ( 3"x2") I recall, .063.
I did this because I already had a flying airplane and crawling down and back up the inside of the firewall to buck rivets or even hold a nut was almost impossible.
The firewall is quite "wobbly up there but once you install an adel clamp to secure the breather hose the whole installation becomes more rigid.
That is what worked for me.

Install your Nut plates on an aluminum doubler and use it like a very large washer ( 3"x2") I recall, .063.
Ernst and Bill,
Just to be sure, you did not rivet the aluminum doubler to the firewall at all. It is held in place only by the two nutplates? If so, then some proseal to hold it there seems like a good idea?
Thanks.
Johan

FYI, I called Allen at Anti-Splat to order a separator and pump system for my -10, but he talked me into not doing anything now until they come up with a proven bypass system in case the pump cokes over and plugs up. This pressures the crankcase and can blow out the front seal.

Last edited:
Air-Oil

Installing the ASA separator in my 6A turned into quite an ordeal.

This is the only place it would fit. I had a substantial doubler behind the firewall, but can't find the picture.

I would put those things that can only go in a certain place in first, then the moveable ones.

Keep it high, so drainage both ways can occur.
airoil.jpg

Dave A.

Just to be sure, you did not rivet the aluminum doubler to the firewall at all. It is held in place only by the two nutplates?

Correct, no rivets but a little Pro seal won't hurt.
2 bolts will keep it in place and spread the load over the area of the doubler.
The clamp on the hose will stiffen things up, not to worry.

I did not rivet it to the firewall only because it would have probably thrown my back out of place trying to buck the rivets. If I was building from new and had good access I would have riveted the doubler in place. either way, even with the doubler you will want to support the outlet hose to help stabilize the AI separator. I used one of the bolts holding the brake master cylinder to hold an adel clamp.

IMG_2860.JPG

Back