What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight of N987J

BJohnson

Well Known Member
Today I flew N987J for it's first two flights out of S50 in Auburn, WA! The plane is amazing to fly! It took my over 9 years to complete, but it is finally flying. All three of my children have riveted portions of this plane. With family and work obligations, it has been a long road to getting to this point, but now I finally have entered phase I testing.

The engine performed flawlessly, thanks Aerosport! I will try and get some video posted, but here is a photo of the RV grin and a few screen shots of the video taken from the park and ride at the end of the runway. I was a little high on final. Thanks Mark for all your help getting this put together and finished, and thanks Doug for your time flying with you in your -9A.

And especially thanks to my wife who 9 years ago asked me if I was going to stop talking about building an airplane, and actually go and do it. More times than I can count, she kicked me out to the garage or hanger to work on the airplane. I could not have even started the project without her encouragement.

k8ch.jpg

hvfo.png

a4em.png

Well, let me be the first to congratulate you! Having not built a plane myself, I have immense respect for those that have, and particularly those that have persevered over many years to accomplish a milestone in their lives.

Well Done!:)

I love hearing reports like that! Backtracking the time we started projects about the same time. You are a lucky man to have such a supportive lady. Congratulations!

Congratulations Brice, what an accomplishment!!!! I'm really looking forward to flying with you.

Congrats

Hey Brice. I fly a 172 out of auburn. I'm also nearly done with my 9A, but it is at Paine Field. I'm going on 7 years and will fly this summer.

Michael

Thanks for the comments

A day later it is still sinking in that I have a flying aircraft. This is my fisrt airplane. I have been renting all these years. So it is time to learn the operations side .

Michael, I am officially retiring from renting cessnas. Good luck with your 9. Auburn is an interesting place for a first flight. Not a lot of good options off the end of either runway. Paine would be much better.

Jeff, look forward to flying with you too. Time to convert avgas to green house gas.

Lee, how is the warm shop coming along? Is it ready for the empenage kit?

Vlad, your adventures and posts were and are always inspiring to keep building.

Thanks again.

Congratulations!!

Brice, congrats on the new fledgling :D

That grin photo would look good on tomorrows front page.............

Brice;
Let me be another of the many from Washington to congratulate you on your first flight!
I fly out of Crest airpark, just up the hill from Auburn. I made my first RV-8 flight from Crest Dec 26th 2013. I can still feel the thrill every time I take off! I now have 6.3 hours. A mere 33.7 to go!
May you gain hours rapidly and complete Phase one soon!

Brice-
Congrats on your first flight. Your nine years of building will fade away to many years oof flying. Enjoy!

Back